cheap roadie

slowslowslow
slowslowslow Posts: 488
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking to get a new road bike. had a couple over the years but mostly a mountain biker. Would like something that will do me for hacking around all year, bit of a do it all. don't want to spend too much. seen a couple of second hand cyclocross bikes, a Giant TCX and a Spesh base model. Bearing in mind I'm no speed merchant, the most I do is 50 or so miles, I'm thinking of looking to do a few sportives again and likely to do coast to coast:

1) Will a cyclocross like the Giant turn into a remotely workable road bike with a change of tyres? It does get some good reviews for its price and level.
2) will sora gears do the job ok and I'm just being a bit snobby?

Any advice would be helpful...
slow

Comments

• Cyclocross bike would do fine, just get some road slicks and yes, sora groupset will work fine if you're on a budget
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Giant defy do you ok.I am about to sell my 4 month old defy 4 in size medium.PM me if interested.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I love the way people take the opportunity to sell....:)depends how much you are after...:)
    The last bike I had was a defy 2 and really liked it but I always buy them then ending up selling for some reason so I don't want to spend too much and end up wasting it. The two i have seen are both around the 400 mark but should be able to knock em down a bit.
    Cheers for the advice folks. Much appreciated.
  • Got the spesh Tricross. Quick twenty or so miles and its great. and upgradable..........:)