Another 1x9 conversion thread

twink
twink Posts: 30
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Sorry if this has been covered - I did look.
Looking at converting with a thick thin front ring.
Have xt deore 9 speed so no clutch mech available.
I was looking to avoid a chain device for the cleaner look but risk chain drop. So now looking at this to tension the chain instead.

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5947/263221/0/0

With single speed conversion for Blackspire.

Anyone tried this or see any flaws?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is not a tensioner.

dont bother with thick thin ring just a normal non profiled one will do. and fit a top guide (or locked out front mech) with the stinger and you will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I run a normal slx rear mech, ramped 32 tooth middle ring and an mrp 1x chain guide and I haven't had any chain drop issues. It looks pretty clean as well.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 30
    OK. I may be over thinking it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or underthinking.....

You'll need at least an upper guide (like the Stinger), but it will be prone to the chain derailing on backpedals (though not always, my commuter never does it but my daughters was always willing to climb off), even just flicking the pedal up ready to pull away, instead of using a lower guide I use a bash ring (which I'd have on anyway as I have a lot of fallen logs on my regualr rides) as the outer guide ring and an inner guidering mounted on the granny tabs.....been 100% secure and lighter than twin guides.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.