How realistic are my expectations?

craigmamakin
craigmamakin Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
This is my first post, so hello!

I've been commuting to work for about 18 months. I commute into central London (12 miles each way) and play Sunday football (+ train one night a week). Over the summer I was able to really push myself thanks to not playing football (off season for the yanks). I really enjoyed the cycling...so much so that I plan to compete / join a club in spring / summer 2014.

But frankly I have a few reservations...
I really don't know how fit I am...I just don't know if I'm fit enough to compete or will be come spring?
...in general I think my all round fitness is good...but I don't expect to be anywhere near as good as anyone who's been cycling seriously from a much younger age. (I'm 26 now).

I'm also unsure just how easy it is to get involved in competitive races...are their such things as cycling races for individuals? or must I bet part of a team / club? Are there any 'entry level' events that I can enter to get a benchmark against others? I've done some sportives of course, and my times have been relatively good (but I don't think this is much of a baseline).

Thanks for any advice in advanced,
Craig

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Haha I am in exactly the same boat as you. Commuting about 30 months (7 miles) but usually get a long weekend ride ride at least once a fortnight and do some Regents/Richmond park laps pre/post work once a week and also have done some longer rides (215 miler back in April) and happy doing century rides. I also want to start racing and set myself the following goal:

Getting fit over the winter (post xmas!)
    Joining a club in January
    Beasting myself until March
    Start racing in Spring.

Whereabouts do you ride in from? Obviously this has NO bearing WHATSOEVER on anything, but do you ever 'race' the other commuters? How do you get on? Generally I rate myself on the commute as a one of the stronger people I see apart from a few super strong guys who I always end up killing myself trying to catch, but this means NOTHING in reality. I am looking forward to getting my butt kicked in a real race.

From what I have read I think the best thing to do is join a club with a good racing scene. Get some practise riding in groups and bike handling. I am going to start testing a few clubs out over the next months with a view to joining a sociable, race orientated one. WIll be my 1st ever club ride this weekend.

Good luck and maybe see you out there one day.
    Charlie
  • Age isn't the critical factor. Many of the world's great time triallists aren't in their 20s, or even 30s. It's a matter of having the capability or not... 'Cycling fitness' also takes a while to develop, even if you are reasonably fit to begin with.

As for racing, if you want to compete individually, join a club and do some club 10s...
  • coriordan wrote:
    Haha I am in exactly the same boat as you. Commuting about 30 months (7 miles) but usually get a long weekend ride ride at least once a fortnight and do some Regents/Richmond park laps pre/post work once a week and also have done some longer rides (215 miler back in April) and happy doing century rides. I also want to start racing and set myself the following goal:

Getting fit over the winter (post xmas!)
    Joining a club in January
    Beasting myself until March
    Start racing in Spring.

Whereabouts do you ride in from? Obviously this has NO bearing WHATSOEVER on anything, but do you ever 'race' the other commuters? How do you get on? Generally I rate myself on the commute as a one of the stronger people I see apart from a few super strong guys who I always end up killing myself trying to catch, but this means NOTHING in reality. I am looking forward to getting my butt kicked in a real race.

From what I have read I think the best thing to do is join a club with a good racing scene. Get some practise riding in groups and bike handling. I am going to start testing a few clubs out over the next months with a view to joining a sociable, race orientated one. WIll be my 1st ever club ride this weekend.

Good luck and maybe see you out there one day.
    Charlie
    Ha, glad to hear I'm not the only one. My commute via tooting and up through elephant and castle. It's so congested it's unreal at times!

Yeah I try and race other people of course (when I'm not "bonked"). Yeah again, I feel I'm one of the stronger commuters but as you say it's not really much of a benchmark.

I try and get to Richmond park when I can but haven't been at all since I started playing football again.

Who have you ridden with so far? Anyone recommendations?
  • Age isn't the critical factor. Many of the world's great time triallists aren't in their 20s, or even 30s. It's a matter of having the capability or not... 'Cycling fitness' also takes a while to develop, even if you are reasonably fit to begin with.

As for racing, if you want to compete individually, join a club and do some club 10s...

Thanks, I appreciate there are a lot of variables but what sort of pace are club 10's done at? Does there tend to be a wide range of abilities?
  • Anonymous
    No-one yet!
    I hear the Clapham Chasers are really nice so gonna try and rock up with them tomorrow. Stupidly thought their ride was Sunday so only JUST emailed them to ask if I can join, but worried I'm probably too late.....also gonna look at Twickenham, Dulwich Paragon (or something) and Kingston Wheelers. There's also a club called Dulwich Dynamo who could be worth a look.

To be honest I think you'd get great advice in the Commuting chat, as it's quite a london centric group and there are some really strong riders who race seriously in and around London at varying levels.

Pop your nose into the 'silly commuting racing' thread as you may find someone who's spotted you!
  • Anonymous
    (I think by 'individually', Simon interpreted that as 10 mile time trial, btw)

I know what you mean (i.e can you just race representing yourself and see how you get on, not necessarily in or part of a club in specific club kit) and I think the answer is yes.

Thanks, I appreciate there are a lot of variables but what sort of pace are club 10's done at? Does there tend to be a wide range of abilities?

There almost certainly will be a wide range of abilities. You have to remember that cycling is still very much a grassroots sport. It's not like you see on the telly; expect to see posh bikes and kit, tatty bikes and kit, young and old, and even some hybrids and MTBs. Whilst clubs will obviously vary and some are very competitive (or place strong emphasis on their competitive provision), in general club cycling is very inclusive; at least if the scene around me is anything to go by (though I've yet to really participate in it myself). If you look at some results (some clubs put them online), you'll see sub-24 minute 10s, but you'll also see double that. Many of the top amateurs (eg. Andy Wilkinson, Graeme Obree) and even some professionals still regularly participate in club activities. If a club doesn't make you feel welcome, don't join them! :wink:
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810

Depends on the course, but somewhere between 19 minutes and 35 minutes.

To survive a cat 4 race on one of the easier circuits around here, you'll likely need to be either experienced and be around 28minutes or inexperienced and nearer 25, however even if you're stronger than that you can be really dumb and get dropped - to survive a cat 4 race at Palace would be a completely different story.

To do a club 10, you probably do need to be a member of the club - you can probably try one out not being (depending on the rules of the event for insurance purposes), but the clue really is in the name.

If you can complete a sportive you're more than strong enough to join any of the London clubs. Go join one now, there's loads.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Anonymous
    How are you getting on? I think I have found a winning club to train with mid-week although not sure I can do their weekend rides as they are based in N London so a bit of faff.

Applying for license in Jan, then need to work out how on earth this all works
  • Perhaps think more about joining a club just to go on club runs etc for now and consider racing if you find you, or more importantly they, think you are ready.
  • Perhaps think more about joining a club just to go on club runs etc for now and consider racing if you find you, or more importantly they, think you are ready.

Yup yup, that's the plan. I don't plan to race. I plan to just find out more and get involved really.
  • coriordan wrote:
    How are you getting on? I think I have found a winning club to train with mid-week although not sure I can do their weekend rides as they are based in N London so a bit of faff.

Applying for license in Jan, then need to work out how on earth this all works

Hey, not bad cheers. I don't plan to do much until Marc (when my football season should be over and can start training properly).

You're getting a license already? Is that what the club suggested? (which one btw)?

Cheers
  • Anonymous
    I am gonna go for it. I am keen to stick to my guns and do my 1st race in March and get shelled out the back if that's what happens. I reckon I am ready (not to win, but to take part!) and I should be able to get stronger given my recent (gruelling) training regime, so maybe even be just about strong enough to wheelsuck the whole way!

I will get my licence prior to starting (so Feb/March) so it lasts the max time and no money wasted. I haven't joined a club yet, but I've been introduced to a friendly bunch who train in Regents Park twice midweekly so suits perfectly. I've done a couple of club runs (Clapham Chasers were exceptionally nice, btw, but I think more of a triathlon club) and may do the Dynamo chaingang in Richmond to further build on fitness. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how things are going, as I only met them this morning. I still have no idea how to even go about this racing malarkey. Everyone keeps asking me 'how far?'. Frankly I have NO idea whatsoever!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My recommendation would be to just get stuck in. I dithered for a few years - got into road cycling in 2006 and didn't really start racing until the last couple of years (give or take a few circuit races / time trials). Now only a few years away from veteran status and with kids impacting on my training / racing opportunities, I've kind of missed what would have been my ideal racing years.

You can turn up on the day for a lot of circuit races with no club affiliation and get a ride. For time trials, its generally easier to be a club member I think although the Richmond Park ones in the summer you don't have to be a club rider (but do need to pre-enter). For time trials (against the clock rather than bunch racing) there will be a whole range of abilities. Unless you're in line for a prize, its really a matter of doing your best and comparing to your own previous efforts - a race against yourself effectively. For circuit races, look out for 4th cat only races. There are a few jotted around, and you should find the pace a bit easier (although there are often newcomers who are very strong, just haven't raced yet). Generally circuit races are E/1/2 or 3/4, the 3/4 races will be a bit tougher than 4th only but if you're young and fit and used to riding fast then there's no reason why you won't be able to compete - only way to find out is to have a go. I'd recommend Cyclopark as an introduction out of the London area circuits. Hillingdon is a bit of a crash-fest, Palace is just damn hard and Hog Hill - actually Hog Hill is not too bad, bit of a bump at the end but a nice track.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you want to get very used to riding in a bunch - so well used to club runs before starting bunch racing.

TT's are an easy way to get into racing - and have a good idea of your standard. If you're 30 mins for a 10 though - you'll be struggling in any road race. I'd save the licence for when I was ready I think.

It will also be hard doing Sunday Footy and cycling too - most club runs are sundays - so you'll miss out on that part of it for most of the year. Maybe look for a club who ride Saturdays too ?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It would be very difficult to develop the speed and endurance for any sort of racing without being in a club - you'll also learn group-riding skills which are critical to your and everyone else's safety when bunch racing. Whilst there's no direct correlation, but if you can't do a 10 mile TT in around 25 minutes, you'll likely struggle with the changes in pace of even a 4th Cat road race. Virtually all 4th Cat races are on closed road circuits.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    It would be very difficult to develop the speed and endurance for any sort of racing without being in a club - you'll also learn group-riding skills which are critical to your and everyone else's safety when bunch racing. Whilst there's no direct correlation, but if you can't do a 10 mile TT in around 25 minutes, you'll likely struggle with the changes in pace of even a 4th Cat road race. Virtually all 4th Cat races are on closed road circuits.

Sounds like a good marker, thanks.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. I dithered about it but get stuck in.

I even penned it down into a blog http://ctoc3.wordpress.com/ covered joining a club and all the bits needed to get to my first race... although been slack on updating it since!

If you look for a big club (I'm with Kingston Wheelers) you'll find rides nearly every day of the week, year around.
  • Anonymous
    Bought race license and entered a race on Sat.

Training has been slack for Feb as I just haven't had the urge to get out of bed before work and do gruelling training in horizontal rain in the freezing cold.

Did a chaingang this morning, and 2 weeks off the bike clearly haven't done me any wonders. That said, it wasn't TOO atrocious. I expect to be shelled early on, and will be pleased with a pack finish.
  • bigmat
    coriordan wrote:

Training has been slack for Feb as I just haven't had the urge to get out of bed before work and do gruelling training in horizontal rain in the freezing cold.

Did a chaingang this morning, and 2 weeks off the bike clearly haven't done me any wonders. That said, it wasn't TOO atrocious. I expect to be shelled early on, and will be pleased with a pack finish.

Where's the race? Season starts on Saturday (well it does for me anyway!)
  • coriordan wrote:

Glad to hear you've started racing!

I got knocked off by a car yesterday. I now have a broken bike, broken hand, black eye, scraped up legs and sore shoulder. I'm out for a couple of months. Wrong side of winter for this to happen
  • Anonymous
    What a nightmare! I am racing in Gravesend, pretty excited and nervous. I expect to just be jostling around in the pack desperate to hold wheels.

Hope you fix up soon. Will let you know how it goes.
  • Cheers.

What sort of distance is the race in Graves end?
  • Anonymous
    I honestly have no idea. It says one hour so presumably 25 miles or so?

Links are here:
    http://www.riderhq.com/events/67239/san ... g--crits-2
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... ng-Crits-2
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Good work on entering ! Good luck with the race and let us know how you get on.

I remember my first race - a crit. I'd watched them in the park the last few weeks and thought it would be OK. Turned up on the night and the changing room was full of pros. We'd inadvertently chosen the race with the big prize money as our first...

It was fast - but fun.
  • bigmat
    Cyclopark is great, just make sure you work out which way the wind is blowing. Best to have it in your face down the back straight otherwise the far hairpin is a bit hairy, then on your back on the slight rise to the finishing straight. Good luck!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    coriordan wrote:
    No-one yet!
    I hear the Clapham Chasers are really nice so gonna try and rock up with them tomorrow. Stupidly thought their ride was Sunday so only JUST emailed them to ask if I can join, but worried I'm probably too late.....also gonna look at Twickenham, Dulwich Paragon (or something) and Kingston Wheelers. There's also a club called Dulwich Dynamo who could be worth a look.

To be honest I think you'd get great advice in the Commuting chat, as it's quite a london centric group and there are some really strong riders who race seriously in and around London at varying levels.

Pop your nose into the 'silly commuting racing' thread as you may find someone who's spotted you!

You sure you don't mean Dunwich Dynamo? That's an annual night ride (hence the dynamo) from London out to Dunwich on the Suffolk coast
  • Anonymous
    Quite right. I mean Dulwich Paragon (as above) and London Dynamo (who are actually a London club)!

I'm going to join CC London when I get my arris in gear.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    As already mentioned, a 10TT time is not a bad way of getting some indication of where your ability for road racing might be but for some, TTs and RRs are incompatible and will race one but not the other so are relatively poor at the other discipline.
    The thing about any mass-start race is that it can be a relatively steady/consistent pace from start to finish but more often it varies from a very gentle pace to then switching to being eyeballs out, breathing through your ears, legs on fire for miles and miles. And that change can be repeated time and time again sometimes. Some races I've finished thinking I should have attacked somewhere as I have energy to spare at the end, others I've spent miles and miles either clinging on for dear life or chasing chasing as I got dropped at the worst point.
    If you think your somewhere in the ballpark then give it a shot : be attentive but keep your nose out of the wind, be aware of what is happening around you both riders swarming round you from behind and what is happening at the front.
    I remember that in my 1st RRs I wasted a lot of nervous energy so don't be too jumpy but don't be lazy and let yourself drift to the back thinking it is easier there - it is not, you'll spend time and effort reacting to attacks at the
    front and as gaps appear in the bunch you will have to jump past these or get dropped.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for the advice. I've read a few things and have bookmarked all the pages in Amateur Race for some bedtime reading on Friday. The carnage kicks off at 3.15 on Saturday!