DAVID MILLAR Film

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Absolutely, so he should be used when he retires in a full-time capacity as he, more than anyone from outside, knows the scene, the tricks, the effects, the dangers, the motivations.

Better him, who appears to be far more anti-doping than just about everyone else.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Joelsim wrote:
    Absolutely, so he should be used when he retires in a full-time capacity as he, more than anyone from outside, knows the scene, the tricks, the effects, the dangers, the motivations.

Better him, who appears to be far more anti-doping than just about everyone else.

He's stated that he wants to stay in the sport, but at a grass roots level, rather than get involved in the political BS of the pro scene. Which sounds like a no to the above.
  • Joelsim wrote:

Not arguing that he wouldn't be useful, but don't think it's what he wants to do from what he's said. He's talking about working with young riders in some capacity, and he wants to keep involved with the Garmin team, as he part owns Slipstream. Think he'll combine this with writing and with media work - he's already involved with GCN and he's bound to get involved in commentary.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Joelsim wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    Looking forward to this film. Millar got what he deserved for cheating, but, he manned up, did not blame his dog or his mates steak and took it on the chin. Since his return from his, deserved, ban he has been a tireless worker for clean cycling. Respect. I hope this movie is a huge success.

Well he was caught bang to rights wasn't he. His excuse that he kept the empty bottles as a reminder is about as convincing as Contador's steak excuse - far more likely he'd used them recently and got sloppy leaving them around the house. His book makes it clear he blames the system for pressuring him into doping.

I don't mind him but this painting him as morally superior to other dopers grates a bit. He did what most of us would have, not because the pressure was that huge but because he wanted the rewards of winning and convinced himself doping was OK because plenty of others were doing it.

It was part of the culture, I don't think you can blame a single rider from this particular period.

I personally feel that Millar should have a place on the anti-doping panel when he retires as he knows the score (forgive the pun), for why it happens and the negative psychological and physical dangers.

Wouldn't disagree with you I just don't think he is morally superior to other dopers - he didn't come clean he cracked under extreme pressure when caught and his story seems no more likely than many others who claim they only did it on odd occasions.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Wouldn't disagree with you I just don't think he is morally superior to other dopers - he didn't come clean he cracked under extreme pressure when caught and his story seems no more likely than many others who claim they only did it on odd occasions.
    The difference being though that the 'odd occasions' he admitted to were his biggest wins. For example, he voluntarily confessed to doping for his World Championship and got stripped of his title. No-one had any evidence specifically regarding that event.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine

Whether you're a fan or not I still think there is a spectrum from Di Luca to Millar, as examples. He is part of Garmin which seems to have a healthy view on the doping culture. There are riders who have come back after a ban without saying a peep and others, like Millar, who've been staunchly outspoken about the culture. It has to be a good thing for the sport, no?
  • DeVlaeminck
    Well yes I agree dopers like DiLuca who appear to have carried on regardless after being caught have to carry more guilt than those that were caught and carried on - to that extent you are right. As I say I hold no grudge against Millar, my objection isn't to him so much as those who hold him up as an example of someone who has atoned for his sins. He confessed when sat in a police station, he admitted only to limited doping and he wrote a book explaining ow terribly hard it was for a rider in his shoes not to dope. The guy is human but I don't see that he deserves praise for that, everything he's done concerning doping has been to his own benefit.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    ow terribly hard it was for a rider in his shoes not to dope.

That's the crux of it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    But it was less hard for someone like him who could make a career clean, and of you believe him a pretty good career clean. He was well educated, no dependents, if there was pressure on him to dope there was a lot more on plenty of others.

That is my point, not that Millar particularly a "bad person" just that he doesn't stand out as deserving the praise some give him.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    David Millar is milking his ban for every penny ... Hardly to be applauded is it?

He is also co-owner of a team that rode to wins with riders whose doping history was known to management and who should have taken their medicine and not ridden out the few good years they had left first ...

But he says a lot of nice things in the press ... To sell books and a movie ...
  • inseine
    David Millar is milking his ban for every penny ... Hardly to be applauded is it?

He is also co-owner of a team that rode to wins with riders whose doping history was known to management and who should have taken their medicine and not ridden out the few good years they had left first ...

I think that's a bit unfair since Hesjedal fessed up to USADA and Garmin were told to keep quiet.I think their stance on doping has been good for the sport, likewise Millar. What else should he have done? Better than just pretending it never happened.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I also think that is pretty unfair on Millar.
    After getting the ban Millar would then need to either disappear from cycling or return -he returend and has done so with a positive agenda.
    He cheated - he admits that pretty readily - has any other rider been so ready to say "I doped" ? He has said that he did so for events where he won big - he was not caught doing in that situation so could have spouted something with far less clarity and left his big wins forever in a grey area of 'was he or was he not clean'.
    I read his book and he descrives how he was tipped over the edge into doping - his strong moral standpoint got worn down - some riders would have managed to retain that in his situation, he did not, many, many others we know have probably started out thinking they would forever say no to doping but after working within the pro-peleton they also took the same path as Millar.
    It also seemed that he lost a ton of money - he became (actually or very nearly ?) bankrupt and his palatial house in France was seized IIRC to pay French tax debts ?
  • Crankbrother
    I too read his book ...

He seemed to have some daddy issues that he tried to compensate for ... In pursuit of that recognition he cheated ...

He only lost it all, but yet should never have had it in the first instance so no sympathy there ...

He came back, paid some dues and has been racing at WT level on a decent(ish) team ... Yet again though, he wants more attention and the money that comes with it ...
  • It's you that's got the issues. All your posts reek of bitterness and vitriol, with a good dollop of self-righteousness.

Your daddy issues must be craving attention by being oh so controversial on internet forums.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • What's a predictably depressing yet familiar thread this has turned out to be :roll:
    The OP was posting about the film and it just descends into a squabble about doping, usually, as in this case, led by those preaching from the moral high ground. Clearly they have never done anything wrong in their lives.

The thread was about the film, not about doping
    Can I upgrade???
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    meggiedude wrote:
    What's a predictably depressing yet familiar thread this has turned out to be :roll:
    The OP was posting about the film and it just descends into a squabble about doping, usually, as in this case, led by those preaching from the moral high ground. Clearly they have never done anything wrong in their lives.

Don't you come on here with your common sense. Don't you know there's arguments to be one, moralising to be done and points to be scored?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Crankbrother
    It's you that's got the issues. All your posts reek of bitterness and vitriol, with a good dollop of self-righteousness.

Your daddy issues must be craving attention by being oh so controversial on internet forums.

Errr, ok ... cool yer jets mister ...

I have opinions and (often half baked) theories to explain them ... hardly controversial ... We can't have 73 versions of 'he's a good egg' otherwise there'd be no discussion ...

My observations on DM are made based on his recent cycling related ventures where without being an ex-doper he would have no story, just a rouleur with half a dozen wins (which is nothing to be sniffed at btw, many don't get anywhere near that) ...

And his book gave an insight into his life outside cycling which if he didn't want people to comment on he shouldn't have put it into print ...

He's an interesting character, likeable in some ways, borderline detestable in others ...
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    inseine wrote:

I think that's a bit unfair since Hesjedal fessed up to USADA and Garmin were told to keep quiet.I think their stance on doping has been good for the sport, likewise Millar. What else should he have done? Better than just pretending it never happened.

Hesjedal fessed up because Chicken's book was coming out. He knew it was going to come out so he got in first.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    rayjay wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Hesjedal fessed up because Chicken's book was coming out. He knew it was going to come out so he got in first.

I thought he'd spoken to USADA confidentially a while before Chicken's book, and went public himself before he was outed
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    inseine wrote:

I thought he'd spoken to USADA confidentially a while before Chicken's book, and went public himself before he was outed

Think the story* goes that USADA came knocking on his door last year and said 'is there anything you want to tell us', to which he said 'yes'. They (+CCES) then didnt follow up with him to unburden his soul till early this year. He confessed in public when Chicken outed him the day before (?) his book came out.

*The Story According to Vaughters
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Wish the peloton was full of ex dopers.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wish the peloton was full of ex dopers.

to be fair here's one I could well do without
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/scarpon ... ri-anymore
  • inseine

I think the emphasis was on the 'ex', but the trouble is just because you got busted once doesn't make you an 'ex'.
  • inseine wrote:

I think the emphasis was on the 'ex', but the trouble is just because you got busted once doesn't make you an 'ex'.

Twice - blood doping and then working with Ferrari. Still to come: Padua calling...
  • Crankbrother
    That's a two picture deal right there ... apparently ...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    meggiedude wrote:
    What's a predictably depressing yet familiar thread this has turned out to be :roll:

To be honest it bothers me not cos its the usual suspects who are attracted by threads containing anything to do with doping, or anything even peripherally related to Team Sky. However far removed.

If it were any other posters I would be interested in there opinion or point of view. :wink:
  • Crankbrother
    mike6 wrote:
    meggiedude wrote:

To be honest it bothers me not cos its the usual suspects who are attracted by threads containing anything to do with doping, or anything even peripherally related to Team Sky. However far removed.

If it were any other posters I would be interested in there opinion or point of view. :wink:

Mike, I'd be interested to know how SKY are involved in this discussion ... As I have mentioned before, I'm in no way anti-SKY, just anti-Bike Radar Blinkered Brit Brigade ... But if you feel discussing anything I post is not worth your while, no problem ... Maybe just let those who do wish to get on with it rather than commenting ...

Agreed the thread has hit a 'doping' brick wall but in terms of riders profiting from both the actual cheating, and subsequent notoriety it is an interesting discussion ... especially in terms of those proclaiming to be repentant ...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Millar refuses a hat? He loves a hat