Shimano Ultegra 6500 STI shifters gear cable issue

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi guys,

I have an issue with my left shifter (Ultegra 6500 STI) as per thread here > viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12948876

Having had a closer look - I can see that perhaps the gear cable holder/trap seems bent? Is this normal? see photos below - Is this the cause of the issue? Should it be straight and able to move around? Looking at the right shifter It does not look like this....

photo.JPG
photo2.JPG

http://www.jonwallacedesign.biz/photo.JPG
http://www.jonwallacedesign.biz/photo2.JPG

Not sure why photos are not embedding - so here are some links!

Any ideas?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You should only see the circular end not the whole barrel. It needs to go further into the body of the lever and sit inside the cylinder part.

Looks like your cable is too slack. Perhaps the cylinder within the sti is worn.

Here is mine

10871699674_61718931c0_z_d.jpg
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    You should only see the circular end not the whole barrel. It needs to go further into the body of the lever and sit inside the cylinder part.

Looks like your cable is too slack. Perhaps the cylinder within the sti is worn.

Here is mine

10871699674_61718931c0_z_d.jpg

Thanks Smidsy - any way to fix it? I know these are not serviceable bits....
  • smidsy
    Try taking the cable out and inspecting the inner barrel. It may be that your cable is the issue.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Try taking the cable out and inspecting the inner barrel. It may be that your cable is the issue.

How ??? Sorry - Shimano all new to me - I am a Campag boy... the barrel and cable end are jammed - the shifter wont rotate - hence which it wont shift the front mech anymore.... Is the barrel meant to be bent and not straight?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It maybe the photo but that looks like the wrong sized nipple.... if it's possible.
    Have a nose on Park Tools or You Tube, look at replacing the cable on Shimano Sti's and go from there.
  • smidsy
    Ahh, had a similar issue myself and gave up. There are some exploded views of the sti body on Shimano Tech Docs site but it all looked a bit daunting and you seemed to need a special castelated tool to get really into it.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 728746.pdf

Took it to my LBS and the nice young girl said she would have a bash at it. Collected it the next day and was informed she spent a very interesting 40 mins in front of the telly with the sti and assorted screwdrivers.

The sti works fine now so must have been a cable issue. So the moral of the story is it may yet be salvageable.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bozman wrote:
    It maybe the photo but that looks like the wrong sized nipple.... if it's possible.
    Have a nose on Park Tools or You Tube, look at replacing the cable on Shimano Sti's and go from there.

Not sure to be honest - was working fine a few days ago!

According to all the bits I have read - the cable should be easily pushed out from the inside outwards... myn is stuck in the barrel... the barrel also looks bent to me... Looking at Smidsy - his is flat and parallel ... This is the left shifter by the way if that makes any difference?
  • smidsy
    Mine was stuck too, got ravelled in the workings somehow. The barrel you can see needs to mate with the cylinder inside the sti body, mine is simply seated correctly where as yours has come out of its corresponding hole.

You need to get busy with the screwdrivers and tweezers - or take it to Pedal Power in Loughborough :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Mine was stuck too, got ravelled in the workings somehow. The barrel you can see needs to mate with the cylinder inside the sti body, mine is simply seated correctly where as yours has come out of its corresponding hole.

You need to get busy with the screwdrivers and tweezers - or take it to Pedal Power in Loughborough :-)

Yeh, looking at the right hand shifter - the nipple and barrel are not visible - I can see the cable running around a pivot and down into the shifter where I would imagine it terminates - then when you shift it rotates to change tension on cable - I assume this is the same on the left shifter but the barrel is completely in the wrong place now!

I think this is a LBS job no? I have no idea what I am doing... am I meant to be pushing the barrel and cable back in, or pull them out???
  • Looking here > http://www.nitrodyno.com/Ultegra-STI/sl ... _0049.html looks like the barrel is bent... Myn just seems to be completely in the wrong position!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I hate to say it but it looks like the cable end is encased in a piece of the shifter mechanism that broke off. Hopefully I'm wrong. As mentioned try to pull it out with a pick and some needle nose pliers and if the nitro link you posted has any helpful advice towards a repair you may as well try it out.
  • I hate to say it but it looks like the cable end is encased in a piece of the shifter mechanism that broke off. Hopefully I'm wrong. As mentioned try to pull it out with a pick and some needle nose pliers and if the nitro link you posted has any helpful advice towards a repair you may as well try it out.

Thanks - taking to LBS on Monday for a diagnosis... looks and feels like toast to me too... :(
  • Hi all - just to confirm, I still have not managed to remove the cable from this shifter - the barrel appears to be jammed in this odd position - I have since removed it and installed a new 2nd hand shifter as a replacement which works fine - One of those things I think... Another STI shifter retires from active duty.... RIP
  • smidsy
    Take it to the LBS as it may be a useable spare if they can remove the cable - worked for me.
    Yellow is the new Black.