Tyre Upgrade for Next Season

Mairzy
Mairzy Posts: 2
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Looking for some solid advice on purchasing some entry level race tyres. It is likely I will run my current stock tyres into the ground on the turbo during this winter so looking to replace for the new season. All recommendations welcome.

I cover around 100km a week during the summer season and ride a Trek Domane with 25mm (considering narrowing to 23mm) stock tyres.

Thanks
James

Comments

• conti 4000s

no going back!
  • Continental GP4000S

But stick with 25mm, no point in going 23mm.
  • Ultremo ZX, prone to nicks but I much prefer them to the Conti GP4000s. Both very good though.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I would expect GP4000s will last at least 3 times as long as the Ultremos. I used to get around 1500mi on a set of Ultremos and was always needing to boot little nicks and bulges. My GP4000s are still going strong at 4800mi. Also, my 23mm GP4000s measure up at around 25mm: they're noticeably wider than the GP24s I also have. I would also consider Michelin Pro 4 Race, even the old Pro 3 Race/Service Course which you can still get from Decathlon for £20 a pop or £30 for 2. Once I got sick of shelling out for Ultremos I moved to Pro 3 Race and love the ride quality with latex tubes. No problems with durability or cuts either.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Wait for the new GP 4000s mark II due to be launched early next year. You want the 25c version. Interestingly it's also going to be available in 28c.
  • Onza Preda tires, Feel like ultremo zx at a much, much lower price!
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Vittoria open corsa, Conti GP4000s and Michelin Pro 4s, take your pick. Vittoria open are probably the best but you will sacrifice mileage for the quality of ride.