I'm down to one bike!

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
I've only got the Kaffenback!!!

Oh yeah, and the Vitamin.

Well, I've still got the fixie frame, but that needs wheels, a saddle and pedals.

I haven't got rid of my most recent bike yet either.
How many bikes are you down to?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently at 5...
    The Gryphon framed commuter
    The Kraken framed MTB
    Fuji Nevada retro MTB
    Gary Fisher retre MTB hack bike (1x7 and twist shift!)
    Carrera Subway in bits, bought for some select spares, rest will be sold on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Only got the seven at the moment. But none are high value & one is vintage. My theory is they will only add up to the value of one very high value bike.
  • It's like shoes.
    The more you have, the slower they wear out.
    That's my excuse anyway. I think I'm down to double figures (bikes, not shoes)
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Personally I have 3 bikes, as in my sig, but my son is using the Marin to go to school as his road bike still needs forks and his MTB has very knobbly tyres. Total for the family is currently at 9 bicycles and a unicycle between 4 of us.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I need to rationalise. I can't keep up with maintaining the bikes I currently have. I need an eBay clear out.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Still at 6 (as per sig) - have been for nearly two years now!! (Nearly bought a Singular Osprey back in Spring, and still eyeing up a Pompino to replace one I sold a few years back and have regretted ever since...)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Just the two at the moment, but have sign-off for another one if the bonus gods are kind...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Seven, plus one to build up.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    The herd has been thinned recently to make space for something so I'm down to 5

Cube Agree
    Secteur
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Merlin Ti Hardtail
    Ragley Blue Pig

and a Brompton

Might lose the Ragley and put it towards a decent road bike
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    A big fat one for me. and that is all i'll have until I get out of the flat that I am in and into a house with more storage.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    rubertoe wrote:
    A big fat one for me. and that is all i'll have until I get out of the flat that I am in and into a house with more storage.

One?! OMG you poor devil :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    4; Road + CX + hybrid (ice bike) & MTB
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Depends how you count them. 6 that you could jump on and ride now (ignoring the fact that the TT and road bike share a chainset), and enough bits to build a few more. Need to rationalise some of the bits. Anyone in the market for a classic Cougar Lo Pro steel TT frameset, or a Voodoo Wazoo CX disc frameset that's too small for me?

Actually think 6 is the correct number for me, though I need to replace the commuter with one that has a shorter head-tube and can double up as a pit bike. Actually, I really need a pub bike too, so make that 7.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    well, it's 3 ... but one is for sale and is currently sat on the turbo ... so in my mind it is 2 ... but I do have 3 wheelsets - perhaps I need more of them ...
    My wife has 2 bikes too so she can't complain ... she's talking about getting another one too ... oooo ... shall I buy another for me at the same time?! ;)
  • 3, a specialized sirrus elite (2004 model) which is on it's last legs and is only really kept because I don't want to part with it. It literally needs everything doing to it

A spesh tricross sport 2008, bought in 2012 from a guy who had done 150 miles in 4 years, i've done 4000 + in 1 year (my commuting bike)

a spesh tarmac elite 2012, the road bike, which lives in the dining room

Thinking about a fixie to ride round town on

Wife has 2 though, Trek FX 7.2 from 2006 and a Trek Lexa SC which she got recently. So if I can separate myself from Elite then we'll have the same number, which clearly isn't right, because she's got more shoes than me :-)
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Without counting, maybe thirty. Some will be sold but I will buy more next week.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Who are you .....?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • As per signature,
    '11 TCR, '13 TCR, '93 TCR, '10 Omnium, '12 Trinity.
    Plus an '80s Coventry eagle, and a '90s Kona Fire Mountain.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    hmmm... let me think

there the Trek 1200 used for winter commuting

a Specialized Allez Comp also used for commuting

Bianchi via Nirone c2c used for best riding

a 25 year old Raleigh Reynolds 501 steel framed retro road bike but the rear dropouts don't hold the wheel true so I don't ride that any more

That's it.....for road bikes

Then I have a dialled bikes Prince Albert Mark 1 steel framed MTB hard tail

another dialled bikes Prince Albert Reynolds 725 steel framed MTB hard tail currently with 700c wheels and discs that my youngest uses to commute

a Specialized SX trail full susser for the Alps and jumps/drops

a Specialized Enduro full suss frame and forks which was my first proper MTB which is in pieces at the moment

another Specialized Big Hit for when the going gets really rough. My eldest uses this when he comes to the Alps with me

a steel framed Kona Lava Dome circa 15 years old MTB which is single speed and rarely gets ridden

there's a BMX in the garage that I ride very rarely which reminds me why at 6' 2" I don't ride it often

and a Merlin alu MTB frame which I acquired from someone moving to Oz that is just hanging there waiting for me to do something with it.

two more children's bikes that the boys have outgrown, a Trek MTB and a cheapo Giant copy

I think that's it. So that's 12 bikes and two frames plus assorted unused MTB suspension forks and about a dozen spare wheels etc.
    FCN = 4
  • veronese68
    So EKE is down to one bike, kind of, the Kaffenback. Rubertoe has one bike, also a Kaffenback. Everybody else has more, none of which appear to be Kaffenbacks. So what wild assumptions should we leap to?
    Is a Kaffenback the ultimate do it all bike? Or, are Kaffenback owners more frugal?
  • EKE_38BPM
    I have a confession to make: Mrs EKE has more bikes ready to ride than I do.
    One technically belongs to her work so will be returned at some point and another is a BSO which is used by a friend, but they are both her bikes.

I need to get my fixie back on the road and I want a folding bike (Airnimal?) for when I'm working further afield and take the train.

• Just the Synapse and the old Townsend hack/snow bike at the minute. Planning to add something properly sporty to the stable in future, but not in any real hurry. I suppose it's the sole advantage of being a bit of a tart, I'd love a CAAD10, but only if I can get myself a "Gulf" or "Bumblebee" frame, which are US-only and SRAM builds.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    So EKE is down to one bike, kind of, the Kaffenback. Rubertoe has one bike, also a Kaffenback. Everybody else has more, none of which appear to be Kaffenbacks. So what wild assumptions should we leap to?
    Is a Kaffenback the ultimate do it all bike? Or, are Kaffenback owners more frugal?

If you can only have one bike, the Kaffenback is a good call. I look forward to taking it on a long ride.

• Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    Ribble R872 - Mine
    Scott CR1 Pro - Mine
    Colnago C94 - Mine
    Felt Curbside - Mine
    Marin Elridge Grade - Mine
    Mongoose Rockadile SL - Mine and 13 year olds
    Muddy Fox BSO - Wifes
    Voodoo Marisa - Wifes
    Voodoo Hoodoo - Wifes
    Trax BSO - Wifes
    Planet X Pro Carbon - Wifes and 13 year olds
    BMX - 13 year olds
    Marin Mountain Bike - 13 year olds
    Mountain bike - 9 year olds
    Mountain bike - 9 & 13 year olds
    Trek 3600 - 23 year old sons
    BSO road bike - 23 year old sons
    Planet X Nano Light - 23 year old sons

Plus numerous other scooters etc. So thats 18 bikes between 5 of us but the last two are with the lad as he works away from home now so only 16 at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I only have two, a SS for roadie and commuting, and the MTB.

Has been 2 for a while now, since I have only space for two really, and limited time to ride them for fun.

I'm getting a new MTB soonish so the old one will have to go, one in one out.
  • Hi TGOTB

I'm actually looking for a Cougar Lo Pro if you're still selling one?
    I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how it all works, but if you do want to sell PM me.
    benjaymin at iinet net au
  • Just the two for me - Voodoo Bokor tho only the frame and the forks remain and a Ridley X-bow for commuting / road riding (two wheelsets to swap in). But two each for the kids (dirt jump and CX each) and one for Mrs voodooman.

Don't really need anything else, besides the new year sees a visit from Celtic Tuning for the SAAB. Haven't yet discussed this though!
  • 3, sort of:

Genesis Aether (commuting/road)
    Kona Steely (MTB, sans saddle atm)
    Specialized Hardrock (mid-90s MTB with road tyres, some kind of problem with the rear hub bearings atm)

and a Pompino F&F (actually Pompetamine fork) that I haven't done anything with yet.

SO basically, one working bike atm.
  • Three for me.

Felt Z6 which takes most of the miles on my commute and my recreational riding

Vintage Ellis Briggs road bike from the early '60's which I LOVE and use as my pub bike/town bike.

GT Avalanche Extreme for the mud/snow/icy commuting.
  • veronese68
    One of my colleagues now has 9 bikes. We have 9 bikes in our household, but there are 4 of us, there's only 1 of him.