Which Canyon bike?

Lifeboy123
Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Seriously considering a Canyon bike , but just can't decide between these two which are both £2,799 plus the VCSL post that seems a worthy optional upgrade

AeroRoad CF 8.0 SL - Aero frame, SRAM force, Mavic Cosmic carbone SLE 7.15kg

Ultimate SLX 7.0 - Ultegra , Mavic Kysrium SLR WTS, 6.7kg

Not fussed about shifting, prefer sram mechanism with fixed brake lever, never tried force but ultegra is better and smoother than Rival. Frame wise Aero seems all the thing these days but the bike is a bit heavier though the adjustable fork angle to vary the ride could appeal

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    For that kind of money buy a Colnago.

Actually for that kind of money buy a Ribble and then all the riding kit you could ever want and a few cycling holidays as well.

Circa £3k for a Canyon!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Edit: Personally would get the SLX. Reviews for the aero are not great. Plus SLX looks great and probably handles better. Bike Radar reviewed the aero sometime ago and I think they are using the same frame.

I was between the SLX 7 and the new SL 9.0 ended up ordering the SL 9 and will put the difference towards a winter bike.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    SLX. Far superior ride to the Aero. Lighter to boot.

As for saving cash and getting a Ribble you'd be getting quarter of a Canyon for half the money. No comparison at all. Like comparing an Audi RS6 with a Ford Focus RS.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Well I Like the RS6 too so not sure what you mean.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Exactly the same two bikes that im considering.

Im swaying more towards the SLX simply because I have never used Sram.

Altho personally I think the aeroad looks better

So before making my mind up i have booked a few days in Majorca and am going to test ride both - superb excuse for a biking holiday :)
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Yes I've been trying to book a canyn bike but I'm staying at puerto pollensa which is other side of the island and they wont deliver to my hotel :(
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    A few people have hinted at the Aeroad not really having had much in the way of good reviews, I can't remember a glowing one. You really need people who have ridden both a lot to give any real comments though, otherwise most likely all you will get is positive comments from people who own one or the other, noone seems to be very critical of their own bikes. Groupset-wise it's a shame they aren't the other way around, then the SLX would be the one to go for probably.
  • slx for sure....and if 70 grammes doesn't bother you just get the plain CF version!
  • Joaquim Rodriguez rides the aeroad.
    I presume he has the choice so he must prefer it?
    Alexander Kristoff on the other hand rides the SLX.

If I remember correctly :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    smidsy wrote:
    For that kind of money buy a Colnago.

It'd be a shite Colnago, you might get a second hand frame and a set of wheels for that price, I'd have the Canyon hands down.
  • The aluminium Canyons look epic this year.

Said to be the best ALU you can get, light and well specced.

I would seriously consider looking at those too.... Carbon isn't always king I suppose!!!
  • I'm having a similar decision to make, considering the CF SLX 7.0 (£2799, Ultegra, Ksyrium SLR, 6.85kgs) vs. the new CF SL 9.0 Aero (£2399, Cosmic Carbone SLE, 7.15kgs)....
  • Ive got a SLX canyon 2012 and its a fantastic bike the frame is very agile and responsive.
    Biggest positive i find vs other bikes mates ride is on th climbs, it really does power through them.

Id get a SLX again without thinking easily..

I say this as im considering a Speedmax CF .....just finding it hard to justify given 0 reviews around.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners