Loose freehub body

jamestinker
jamestinker Posts: 12
edited November 2013 in The workshop
The freehub on my wheel is loose. It's the outercasing as seen in photo 1 which rocks from side to side slightly.

I tried tightening the unit from inside as per the other photos. However, only part of the hole has ridges, the other wide is smooth. I tried a 10, 11, and 12mm allen key, none of which worked. 12mm is too big, and 11mm too small . However, not having ridges inside, I'm not sure this is the right tool anyway. It just doesn't look standard.

Also, it just seems the outer casing is loose, so not sure this would do anything anyway.

Anyone got any ideas?

The wheel is Alexrims X2100 26”

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A bit of play is usual, the common size is imperial and yes falls between a an 11 and 12 mm, 7/16 I think it is.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    As said above, a small amount of float is normal. However it's very difficult to decide what's acceptable and what's too much without a good one to compare with. Put a cassette on it and spin it so the freehub is ratcheting. Listen to the noise the bearing makes. Smooth spinning is good, dry crunchy is time for a rebuild and probably new freehub.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    sorry sounds like a new freehub, at this point is it worth thinking about a new wheel as it can be cheaper.