Opinions on which Genesis

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Right I want your views again sorry if this winds anyone up :D

Out of these two if you wanted a mid range steel bike with disc brakes that would take wider tyres (25-35) and possibly mudguards would you go for the Croix de Fer or the Equilibrium Disc? Bike to be used primarily for road riding. I guess the CDF gives you more off road potential but in reality I don't know if I will venture off the tarmac that often but to have the option would be nice. I guess the Equilibruim disc would fair ok on cycle paths etc anyway?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... oix-de-fer
725 frame, tiagra, crap wheels £1150
or

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/roa ... brium-disc
631 frame, 105, decent wheels £1500

Comments

• Equilibrium disc... the CdF is now a bit dated (I have had one for 4 years)
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    Equilibrium disc... the CdF is now a bit dated (I have had one for 4 years)
    yes but you loved it :wink:

I think I prefer the equilibrium but will it be ok on some very slightly rough stuff???
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Equilibrium disc... the CdF is now a bit dated (I have had one for 4 years)
    yes but you loved it :wink:

I think I prefer the equilibrium but will it be ok on some very slightly rough stuff???

Of course it will, it's all about the tyres and I am pretty sure you can fit 32 mm cross tyres on that
  • bmxboy10
    Any other input welcome. Buying one of em tomorrow. :?
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I'm having a similar debate. Head says CdF. Heart says Equilibrium. Bikes should be a heart decision.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Another croix owner. I'm not sure what it offers over the equilibrium disc other than potential strength. And I love my croix
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bmxboy10
    I'm having a similar debate. Head says CdF. Heart says Equilibrium. Bikes should be a heart decision.

Same as - trouble is too much choice! Depends if you think you will do more on road than off perhaps? :roll:
  • solboy10 wrote:

Same as - trouble is too much choice! Depends if you think you will do more on road than off perhaps? :roll:

The CdF came out in 2007 and was re-designed in 2010... it is a relatively old idea now that there are plenty of competitors. It is still popular because it is indestructible, but it is massively over-engineered for normal off road use. Get the Equilibrium, likely to be 3 pounds or so lighter and possibly a stiffer frame and a newer product. It also comes with Archetype rims, which are miles better than the Alex fitted on the CdF
  • bmxboy10
    Its 1lb lighter according to Genesis...
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Its 1lb lighter according to Genesis...

I don't believe it... the rims are a pound lighter alone...
  • the_fuggler
    solboy10 wrote:

Indeed - one of each it is!

To give you a bit more context, I want something that's going to give me a sporting chance of stopping when descending down narrow, mud-caked Cornish lanes in winter. Which means I would like discs. On that criteria alone, I'd go for the Equilibrium, as I saw one in the flesh and adored it. I've also ridden a non-disc version and really liked the feel of it.

However, I am also considering that I'd like ride some of the less challenging local trails and paths periodically, which would make me lean more towards the CdF. I guess the reality is that the best solution would be to buy the Equilibrium and a mountain bike (sorry), but that's the least likely on the cash front.

When it comes down to it, I suspect that both are great. It's just whether the Equilibrium sets your heart aflutter and you have the extra 350 quid.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bmxboy10
    Your rationale is the same as mine apart from I ride the roads of Surrey but then again they are probably worse than Cornish lanes! I like the thought of off road riding but since I ditched the MTB 3 years ago I have never thought about it that much til now. I have a CF bike with ksyruim elites for summer but having ridden that over the last few weekends I feel like I am really quite likely to have an off before long hence the "need" for a "winter bike".
  • It should only really be about clearance. If you can still fit a 32c cross tyre on there then there's no need for a CDF. The Eq will almost certainly take a light bit of off roading.

If you do want to do a bit of light off roading up hills though you may want something more than a 30t cassette.
  • And too add, it's not even really about winter. Think of it as a bike you can enjoy, love and ride, whenever and whatever the season. And you'll rarely be far off those with super bikes.
  • bmxboy10
    It should only really be about clearance. If you can still fit a 32c cross tyre on there then there's no need for a CDF. The Eq will almost certainly take a light bit of off roading.

If you do want to do a bit of light off roading up hills though you may want something more than a 30t cassette.

28mm Max I think though Ugo thinks 32s will fit - not worried about guards really.
  • bmxboy10
    And too add, it's not even really about winter. Think of it as a bike you can enjoy, love and ride, whenever and whatever the season. And you'll rarely be far off those with super bikes.

Agree and that's why I am considering a Genesis over say an Alu CX bike or the Planet X offering. Like the thought of a 631 frame tbh.
  • If it doesn't take 32, then it's a bit of a bummer, as all X cross tyres are 32 and above. Just go to an Evans store and have a look at it... ask the staff if they can swap the front wheel of a CdF with the equilibrium and see if the tyre fits. As you are there strike a deal
  • the_fuggler
    Come on then - don't keep us in suspense! Which did you buy?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bmxboy10
    Could not get to the LBS but have it on good authority that the Equilibrium will only take up to 28mm tyres. Think i have discounted the Tiagra CDF but in speaking to the LBS they have offered to price up a 105 version of the CDF and Ugo has recently given some advice/prices on a wheel build. Looks like the build will come in well under the Equiliruim Disc RRP but i will get the finishing kit i want as i really want a Ritchey Classic 90mm stem, 44cm bars, Brooks saddle and bar tape etc up all of which i would do/upgrade at some point so it is working our more econimoical to spec the bike correctly now. Decision defered for 24 hours pending the price form the LBS!
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    I'd be interested to know the wheel build that ugo has recommended, as a fellow cdf owner this is the top of my to do list for next year!

The cdf is a great bike by the way,yeah it's heavy bit that's good for the legs surely!?! All the upgrades u mention are thoughts similar to what I've had, and if u did go for the cdf with 105 then you'd be getting rid of the incredibly annoying cables coming out of the sides of the Tiagra shifters.

The new equilibrium disc is a great looking bike, but imo the cdf gives you something else entirely with the options of some rough riding too. Great fun, honest!
  • bmxboy10
    I suggested Architype rims and Ugo said to match these with Novatec hubs. i am heavy so drop him a line and he will advise you accordingly.
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Slight thread hijack - but the genesis day one - meets all your criteria also.

Picked mine up today -with the Alfine hub. Only done 15 wet and windy miles so far but initial impression is that it's awesome.
  • bmxboy10
    I have a hub gear bike and don't really like the range of the gears tbh. Good to know you like your bike though.
  • the_fuggler
    solboy10 wrote:
    Could not get to the LBS but have it on good authority that the Equilibrium will only take up to 28mm tyres. Think i have discounted the Tiagra CDF but in speaking to the LBS they have offered to price up a 105 version of the CDF and Ugo has recently given some advice/prices on a wheel build. Looks like the build will come in well under the Equiliruim Disc RRP but i will get the finishing kit i want as i really want a Ritchey Classic 90mm stem, 44cm bars, Brooks saddle and bar tape etc up all of which i would do/upgrade at some point so it is working our more econimoical to spec the bike correctly now. Decision defered for 24 hours pending the price form the LBS!

Excellent - sounds like a tasty build!
    FCN 3 / 4