ribble carbon frame or colnago

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
i would like to buy the colnago clx3 2014 red and white frame in team colours buy its £1700, and the ribble evo pro red in carbon is only £319 plus the forks for £66.00, anyone ridden any of these bikes.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Not ridden either but I'd safely be willing to bet that they're chalk and cheese :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Yea this isn't an apples and apples comparison. There'll be nothing up with the ribble, but a colnago is a colnago....
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I've been wondering about buying a new car. Been looking at a Vauxhall Insignia and a Jaguar XJ. Not sure which one to go for...

Both will do the job well. One will give you a lot more pleasure of ownership. Question is, can you justify that extra outlay?

If not, buy the Colnago anyway because it's a Colnago.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I've been looking at buying my dinner. I've being considering a 'goes out of date tomorrow' microwave meal I have in the fridge or knocking up a nice bit of Fillet Steak maybe with a Pepper, Cream and Brandy sauce.

There's an argument for either, both will fill me up, but one will cost me six times what the other cost.

(same analogy from me... but OP is probably a wind up anyway)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Wind up or no the OP raises an interesting issue.

Sure the Colnago is going to be nice..but it is really that much nicer as the price difference would have us believe?

When you have a name for yourself (like Colnago) it is easy to assume that the price of the product is fully justified, but in reality it may be that you do not get the real value, simply a premium for a name.

The Ribble is a good enough frame (there are several in the club) and for the money could said to offer better value.

VFM is not always about price ofcourse, so if you would not be happy riding a Ribble then it is a waste of money.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    smidsy wrote:
    Wind up or no the OP raises an interesting issue.

Sure the Colnago is going to be nice..but it is really that much nicer as the price difference would have us believe?

When you have a name for yourself (like Colnago) it is easy to assume that the price of the product is fully justified, but in reality it may be that you do not get the real value, simply a premium for a name.

The Ribble is a good enough frame (there are several in the club) and for the money could said to offer better value.

VFM is not always about price ofcourse, so if you would not be happy riding a Ribble then it is a waste of money.

Given that the Ribble Pro Evo frame is supposedly crap.. it doesn't really offer that much value for money.
  • smidsy
    Given that the Ribble Pro Evo frame is supposedly crap.. it doesn't really offer that much value for money.

Interesting, Bike Radar seem to disagree.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-37562/

I have ridden one and aside from a little frame flex under high power it is pretty good.

The 3 in our club are used heavily and all 3 riders say they are much better than bikes they have had costing 50% or even 100% more.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you have to ask - then the Ribble will be fine for you.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Interesting to see the OP has buggered off! :lol:
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He was asking if a colnago was better than a trek the other day. I think he thought they were the same as they were both red and white. He may be putting the colnago up against every make of bike. We might be here for a long time.
  • smidsy
    cougie wrote:
    He may be putting the colnago up against every make of bike. We might be here for a long time.

In which case take my first post and substitue the Ribble for the given bike of choice - simples :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Interesting to see the OP has buggered off! :lol:

He's still trying to decide which pants to wear today, the M & S ones or the Calvin Kleins :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    smidsy wrote:

Interesting, Bike Radar seem to disagree.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-37562/

I have ridden one and aside from a little frame flex under high power it is pretty good.

The 3 in our club are used heavily and all 3 riders say they are much better than bikes they have had costing 50% or even 100% more.

The only BR reviews you can trust are the 4.5 or 5 star ones, and the really low scores... anyway.. that's a 3 year old review.. things have moved on since then !
  • smidsy
    The only BR reviews you can trust are the 4.5 or 5 star ones, and the really low scores... anyway.. that's a 3 year old review.. things have moved on since then !

You may as well just have said you do not agree. It would have been more believable than the tripe you came out with above.

My opinion of the Ribble is based on personal experience and feedback from real people I actually see and speak to.

I am happy for you not to agree that is your right, but don't wrap it up in spurious statements :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.