new orkf

stir88
stir88 Posts: 124
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i'm looking at getting a new fork and considering the rockshox pike or x fusion slant. has anybody got either and what are your views. The concerns i have with the x fusion are who can service them where can you get spare seals and oil and where can you find service guides, the links on x fusion website don't give much info. They are getting good reviews and are about £160 cheaper than the rockshox. the rockshox are getting good reviews but i don't know of the reliabity of the fork. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• I've got Slants on my full sus and i really like them, they are stiffer than the Revs I had before (but thats probably due to the tapered steerer and 34mm stanchions) the damping also feels better but that may be just comparing old to new. I had mine reduced from 160mm to 145mm to keep the same axle to crown as the Revs. I asked the guys at 18bikes about the Pikes and they said they were amazing but i thought for the riding I do and my riding style (which is pretty steady) and the lower price I couldn't not get the Slants. As for servicing when mine need doing I will just take them back to 18bikes and get them done there.
  • stir88
    Hi Barrelemaker,thanks for reply. How long have you had them, any issues yet? Most people seem to like them, plus they get a 2 year warranty, i'm not sure how long the pikes get. Its interesting to hear about 18bikes saying the pikes are amazing, thats good seeing as they sell the x fusions. I think i'll ring 18bikes to see if they sell seal kits and oil, as i like to tinker. I was edging towards the x fusions but crc have got 10% off at the moment so the pikes are now drawing me in. Cheers
  • stir88
    i've got 1.5 steerer, so it can accept tapered forks and axle is 20mm hope which i can put adapter in to take the 15mm maxles
  • stir88 wrote:
    Hi Barrelemaker,thanks for reply. How long have you had them, any issues yet? Most people seem to like them, plus they get a 2 year warranty, i'm not sure how long the pikes get. Its interesting to hear about 18bikes saying the pikes are amazing, thats good seeing as they sell the x fusions. I think i'll ring 18bikes to see if they sell seal kits and oil, as i like to tinker. I was edging towards the x fusions but crc have got 10% off at the moment so the pikes are now drawing me in. Cheers

I've had them for around 3 month now and they have done quite a few trail centres including bike park wales, wrexham etc and for all of those they have performed really well. I'm not someone who hammers it down particularly rocky black runs though so I can't comment on how they deal with that type of riding. The only thing I have noticed is a tiny bit of stiction just at the very start of the stroke when I fisrt get on the bike, almost as if the dust seals have gripped the stanchion but this only lasts for a second then the rest of the ride they are fine.
  • stir88
    Thanks Barrelmaker for info. I'll give 18bikes a call tomorrow about spares and servicing. Cheers