shimano rs 10 wheels anyone had a spoke snap on them

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited March 2014 in Workshop
just had a spoke snap on my shimano rs10 front wheel which i bought in march 2012, now its buckled and i had to slacken brake cable off to ride the last 4 miles home, i have 2 sets of these wheels one on my winter bike and one my best bike, has anyone else had this happen, guess its not worth fixing. but im still thinking of buying another pair as i like the silver wheels and the 20 rear and 16 front spokes.

Comments

• What you mean it's not worth fixing???????
    It's just a broken spoke... ask your shop to order you a spoke for RS 10... it might take a week or so, but it will be sorted...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I can understand the "not worth fixing" thing. The wheel would cost about £50-70 to replace... a spoke would only cost a few quid but most LBS will charge anything up to £40 to rebuild a wheel. Given that the wheel was bought in March 2012...hardly seems worth it.

Personally, I would order a new spoke and either get a cheap quote from an LBS or have a go at wheel building myself. I did exactly the latter when I needed a new hub on some stock wheels on a newish bike a few years ago. The wheel was never great afterwards but it did work for winter usage and the whole thing taught me a lot about wheel building (as in, get someone else to do it :) ).
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I can understand the "not worth fixing" thing. The wheel would cost about £50-70 to replace... a spoke would only cost a few quid but most LBS will charge anything up to £40 to rebuild a wheel. Given that the wheel was bought in March 2012...hardly seems worth it.

Personally, I would order a new spoke and either get a cheap quote from an LBS or have a go at wheel building myself. I did exactly the latter when I needed a new hub on some stock wheels on a newish bike a few years ago. The wheel was never great afterwards but it did work for winter usage and the whole thing taught me a lot about wheel building (as in, get someone else to do it :) ).

WHo mentioned rebuilding? This is a straight spoke replacement... 10 quid tops including labour
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    SJS cycles usually stock RS10 spokes and nipples. I know this as I've had 4 spokes go (2 front, 2 back) on my set over the past couple of years/8000 miles. It's rather annoying, and last time I had to descend a rather big hill with just a rear brake, which wasn't fun. Relatively easy to fix, but I'm definitely looking to replace my set come spring, as they aren't the greatest wheels.
  • I carry a load of different Shimano spokes.
    www.247cycleshop.com
    Shimano do not supply the nipples with the spokes. You need to buy these separately.
    Neil
  • I carry a load of different Shimano spokes.
    http://www.247cycleshop.com
    Shimano do not supply the nipples with the spokes. You need to buy these separately.
    Neil

247cycleshop... I am OK with a bit of commenting and posting useful links for parts which are difficult to find, as in the case of the Easton spokes, but if it becomes a thing where you chip in to every thread to advertise your business I am less happy. Keep it clean and it can be useful and beneficial for everybody, including yourself... :wink:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    funnily enough i had this happen to my front RS10 this morning (see my post!) and now weighing up the pros and considerable cons of chancing cycling home!

i kind of see you point of not replacing, if your wheel was 18 months old, £10 plus labour costs to sort this or £90 (currently at Merlin, i havent shopped around, ribble can often be cheaper and you can sometimes get a 10% code too) for brand new front and rear wheels! I think i might give another wheelset a go though.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Thankyou.

I am just trying to be helpful.
    I goggle & read a lot of forums, both retail and trade all over the world and it amazes me how difficult the general cyclist finds it getting simple spares for their bikes and how unhelpful some bike shops are when it is something they have not sold.

I only stock a few brands of bikes & accessories in my bricks and mortar shop and don't mail order bikes but we have a very active workshop and repair a huge range of bikes so carry a massive range of spares that I am happy to supply both retail and trade.

We do not care if the bike has come from us or not and over 90% of the time, they haven't, especially as where we are is turning into more of a commuter based town, so it just frustrates me when I read people are waiting weeks if not months for small parts or they are being charged £30 - £40 for a job that should only cost £10 - £15.

I am not all about self promotion. I have been in the trade almost 30 years and been active on forums about 8 and in this time have helped solve loads of problems and in 1 case helped a guy get a new "Orange" frame out of a cycle shop that had damaged his bottom bracket threads when doing a bike build for him.

Please give me time
  • Thankyou.

I am just trying to be helpful.
    I goggle & read a lot of forums, both retail and trade all over the world and it amazes me how difficult the general cyclist finds it getting simple spares for their bikes and how unhelpful some bike shops are when it is something they have not sold.

I only stock a few brands of bikes & accessories in my bricks and mortar shop and don't mail order bikes but we have a very active workshop and repair a huge range of bikes so carry a massive range of spares that I am happy to supply both retail and trade.

We do not care if the bike has come from us or not and over 90% of the time, they haven't, especially as where we are is turning into more of a commuter based town, so it just frustrates me when I read people are waiting weeks if not months for small parts or they are being charged £30 - £40 for a job that should only cost £10 - £15.

I am not all about self promotion. I have been in the trade almost 30 years and been active on forums about 8 and in this time have helped solve loads of problems and in 1 case helped a guy get a new "Orange" frame out of a cycle shop that had damaged his bottom bracket threads when doing a bike build for him.

Please give me time

No probs... welcome by the way
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Cost me 5 bucks to replace a spoke in a rear R500 and true the wheel.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Given these accounts of spoke breakages on front wheels I would worry that the wheels in question are appropriate for the task in hand. Rear spoke breakages perhaps can be understood but breaking spokes in front wheels of reasonable quality should be a rarity.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Given these accounts of spoke breakages on front wheels I would worry that the wheels in question are appropriate for the task in hand. Rear spoke breakages perhaps can be understood but breaking spokes in front wheels of reasonable quality should be a rarity.

I think in view of the sheer number of bikes supplied with these wheels as OEM, front spoke breakages are probably relatively rare.
  • I endured a set of RS10 for about 10 months or so and had numerous rear spoke breaks and was glad to be rid of them - never had any issues at all with the front though. I would suspect a front spoke break to be due to unsual forces being experienced or a problem with the build.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    I endured a set of RS10 for about 10 months or so and had numerous rear spoke breaks and was glad to be rid of them - never had any issues at all with the front though. I would suspect a front spoke break to be due to unsual forces being experienced or a problem with the build.

I had a similar experience with this wheelset. The rear rim cracked around ALL the driveside spoke nipples and had to be binned after only a few thousand miles of sympathetic use with a 75kg rider. Front wheel is still fine and true 3k miles later.
    Fulcrums for me from now on.
  • Drive side spokes are pulling out of the wheel, 1 inch long cracks on rim circumference at each spoke.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Drive side spokes are pulling out of the wheel, 1 inch long cracks on rim circumference at each spoke.

Sounds terminal... :?
  • I never found anywhere that sold the 302 mm rear wheel spokes driveside for my RS10. For some reason there are different variations of the RS10 and the 304mm you can still get hold of on Ebay is too long, just 2mm means it doesn't stick