do 142x12 rear axles make a difference?

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Thinking about changing my bike soon maybe going to a 650b or 29er. Noticed a few bikes with 142x12 rear axles. Do these make a stiffer frame on a hardtail over a regular quick release axle?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe. Depends.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    The biggest advantage I see with a 142x12 axle is the wheel alignment is spot on, everytime.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends entirely on the frame.
    I'm happy with a rear qr but I won't have a front qr.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yes they offer a stiffer rear but thats not always a good thing. Overbuilt bikes with 12 mm rears tend to ride harshly. So on most hardtails its not necessary, but can be useful to tighten up an otherwise softer rear so it has vertical compliance with lateral rigidity. 142 does also have some advantages more generally though:

Its easy to use, especially the shimano version, probably easier than QR
    You cant get it wrong (as mentioned)
    Its a standard that will work from HT right up to DH bike (well mini dh anyway) so less standards needed.
    All up weight is comparable to QR
    even if your QR comes loose you wont lose your wheel (for some time)
    ... and probably some others.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Cheers for the replies only Bikes I can find in my price range with this type of axle is a Trek Superfly or Stache. Might just stick a regular quick release.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    The biggest advantage I see with a 142x12 axle is the wheel alignment is spot on, everytime.
    I agree, can't say I ride my bike thinking how stiff my bolt thru rear end is but I have had qr rear wheels move in the dropouts
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My Voltage has interchangeable dropouts and when I got it I bought some QR dropouts so I could use a different set of wheels I had at the time. I have to say that compared to a 12 mm thru axle the qr is off the scale crap there is so much deflection and nervousness going on its like theres something wrong with the bike. Of course this could simply be the way the Voltage is but suffice it to say the 12 mm dropouts are now a permanent fixture.
  • I like mine on the Canyon... Deffo would recommend it on a bigger bike, anything to keep it tracking true on a trail has to be a bonus.

However, do agree that on low travel/hardtails, it may make the rear ride quite hard.