Riding trails alone?

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the social stuff, and tomorrow I'm taking a bunch of birds (their term not mine) around my lesser known off piste routes. Should be a fun day.
    We also have a couple of Facebook pages, and Rides here so there are always rides to arrange or join.
    But sometimes a nice peaceful ride on 'secret' trails just pootling along and enjoying the solitude is what I need.
    I deal with people every day and I need a break from cnuts on weekends.
    Except for the cnuts on here, obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Jeez I feel reckless compared to most of the posters here.
    I take reasonable kit, all of the basics plus food and space blanket but there is no signal in most of the places where I ride and the area is vast and no proper mtb trails.

The usual rule is go where you like or where you can, try not to die and hope you can work out where transport might be at the end of the day.

I know I am older, less skilful and less good looking than most of you but I try to make the best choices available given the conditions without caving in totally.
  • .blitz wrote:
    All the time. As a Cannock local its difficult to hook up with anyone who can go at a moments notice its like organising a bike ride around your own back garden. Curiously I quite enjoy it if someone else does tag along but those rides are few and far between.

Same as blitz, I am in Rugeley so Cannock Chase is within 5 minutes of my house. Always take phone, water, tube & tools. Had a few mechanicals over the years but only walked home once. Reason, I had 16 punctures! I am not exaggerating, 6 in the front, 10 in the rear. Top tip, don't ride on a canal towpath immediately after its been trimmed unless your setup is puncture proof.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Trimmed of what? Razor wire?
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Like everyone else, I take food, water, tools, weatherman, tubes, space blanket and first aid kit.
  • Kowalski675
    shindig wrote:
    weatherman,

Really? Which one? I'd rather take a weatherwoman - Keeley Donovan would be ideal...
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    shindig wrote:
    weatherman,

Really? Which one? I'd rather take a weatherwoman - Keeley Donovan would be ideal...
    I was thinking more along the lines of Carol Kirkwood or Judith Raltston....both lovely scottish lasses.
  • Kowalski675
    I'll have to google those, lol
  • Sh!t happens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/127_Hours

1) Mobile Phone
    2) Spare tubes
    3) Food (high energy)
    4) Water
    5) Helmet
    6) Light (including rear light)
    7) Report your route before you set off and give an estimated time for return.
    8) Waterproof jacket
    9) I tend to do a circular route when I am on my own so the distance home ain't to far.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    But sometimes a nice peaceful ride on 'secret' trails just pootling along and enjoying the solitude is what I need. I deal with people every day and I need a break.

^^^^ This

Just riding on my own, at my own pace (slow!)
  • Trimmed of what? Razor wire?

Thorn bushes that line the canal tow path. I tried to ride on the grass verge near the waters edge where there was no obvious debris, it was too far to carry the bike (several miles long). I thought I was missing it but sadly not. In hindsight I should have stopped and gone back on myself.