V type brake pads on Canti's - cartridge or non cartridge?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,610
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
So with Nicklouse's help I realise my two bikes with Canti brakes do not need cantilever brakes at all :?

They need V's.

On further inspection I have noticed two styles:

113318_1_zoom.jpg
113315_1_zoom.jpg

The first seems to have a cartridge type arrangement, and the latter is a complete unit.

Does anyone bother with the cartridge style units, or is it the preferred option to replace the whole shebang when it comes to it?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    I think cartridge are more rigid so give better braking. It's then easier to change the pads next time.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I think cartridge are more rigid so give better braking. It's then easier to change the pads next time.

I use the cartridge pads on all my rim braked bikes. Makes replacing them a lot less hassle as you don't have to fiddle about toeing in the pads and aligning them to the rim every time. Just slot out the old and slot in the new.

Cant comment on rigidity. I've never noticed any difference in performance that couldn't be explained by pad compound changes.

Mike
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Cheers gents, I plumped for the clarks one in the end.

Shame they do not use a generic size pad replacement.

Would I be correct in thinking that once you buy clarks/Avid cartridge and pads, you have to stick to that manufacturer for the replacements?

How do you get the pins out to change the pads, just use some pliers or something?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    I think Clark's are Shimano standard V brake cartridge size. Most others will then fit. I had Swissstop green in Clark's cartridge holders as I recall. Yes to pliers.