Bike transport boxes

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I need to buy a transport case that I can use to take my bike on overseas flights. I guess that to protect it from baggage handlers it needs to be a solid case with good protective supports inside., and lockable to protect the contents from scrotes.

Happy to pay the money, as I will use it many times.

Any recommendations, or ones to avoid please.

Comments

• I bought a bike box Alan for trips to Europe and would reccommend. I have a 54 frame and only need to take bars, pedals and wheels off and there is loads of room for track pump and cycling gear. It's a lot of money for what is simply a plastic case with foam but it protects my bike which costs a lot more and I should get a few years out of it.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Thanks for that.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    i've also got a bikeboxalan case, had it just over 3 years, it's done quite a few trips now, just a few minor gouges in the plastic shell but overall doing very well, castors still fine

if hinge, castors, straps etc. ever do get damaged, the construction method means they can be simply repaired

aside from reputation, the other factor was ability to fit a large frame in it (i'm quite tall), and some of the other hard cases weren't big enough

don't think it's ever been weighed at check-in, with a hard bike box you can fill in the gaps with lots of other stuff to keep checked bags within the limit :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Another vote for a BBA. Minimal dismantling (incl not having to remove the rear mech hanger - my personal hate). Quick to pack. Holds a lot in addition to the bike. Taken mine to Europe, Canada and Hawaii with zero problems.

Downsides: check whether it will fit in your car. If the rear seats go down, you should be ok, but if you have a saloon in which try don't, look for a roof rack. And because it's a hard shell, make sure you have a large space at home to store it in.

The only other option I looked at seriously was the Evoc semi soft case.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A