Selecting a Mountain Bike

PaulHumph
PaulHumph Posts: 8
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Mountain bikers, how much does suspension performance influence your decision when selecting a new mountain bike?

Comments

• Quite a bit. Forks are the first thing I look at when comparing bikes of a similar price.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    A fair amount, a rubbish fork could make a great frame feel useless, but you blame the frame.
    Overall, you don't need to be going RS World cups, or Fox Factory, but a decent fork is always worth a little more money. Spend more now to get a better fork, or find yourself forking out plenty more down the line for a replacement.

What bikes are you looking at out of interest?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I look at the complete package. A good fork is important but rear suspension linkage design is equally important and a lot more expensive if you decide you don't like it. A lot of lateral frame flex can come from poor suspension linkage design.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BigAl wrote:
    I'm with Doctor Sheldon Cooper - 43.

Wonder if the OP will ever be back.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alot,

test ride my bikes to see how the rear feels as a fork can be changed, glad i did as i considered the orange 5 and as soon as i rode one it was off my list, and the minority bike the Mondraker came my no1 with a Nomad running probably no2.

suspension comes in equal with handling for me, and i don't really consider looks at all.