Cycling in Snow

stringybob
stringybob Posts: 64
edited November 2013 in Commuting general
As soon as any snow comes my car is a waste of time and I cannot even get up the hill where I live. In the past I have always relied on colleagues picking me up for work on snowy days, but I'm wondering if it is worth peddling in. My work is only about 7 miles away and 90% of it would be on flat cycle track. I use my Giant Roam hybrid bike in the winter so I could just pop the knobbly tyres back on.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Just for snow, knobbly tyres work great as long as they are sufficiently knobbly. If you want to ride on ice though you will need studded tyres as linked above.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
  • Mondeo - I have invested in some 'Winter tyres' this year, but I dont hold out too much hope. By far the worst car I have ever driven in the snow.

It would probably be fresh snow that I would be peddling on (i.e not compacted or icy) as our roads tend to get cleared relatively quickly. Its just the early morning dump that usually catches me out (we've all been caught out by an early morning dump though haven't we!). Think I might give it try once our our balmy North East weather takes a turn for the worst
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    If you're used to riding off road snow is no problem on regular nobbly tyres, I've never felt the need for studded tyres due the odd bit of ice on the roads or trails (unless you're riding to work across a frozen lake or something). Sliding around a bit is half the fun isn't it?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    You'll be OK on the fresh snow on nobblies, however around here cycle paths don't get gritted or cleared and quickly turn to ice from people walking on them.

I prefer riding in the road when it's snowy. If the road is icy then an off road cycle path might be better - less to hit or get hit by when you fall off.

Also watch out for other people doing stupid things (swerving all over the place) and people driving around with 2 ft of snow on top of their car/bus/lorry.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047

+1 to these, I've used Snow Studs for the last three winters, run them down at 20-30 PSI if it's going to be partially melted refrozen snow or a mixed (ice on top of slushy mud is interesting)

They wont always keep you upright (don't corner hard on a wet road) but they will make the of road paths accessible and mean you can still get through when traffic grinds to a halt. Oh and they are heavy, mine add 1.4kg to the bike over Gators or Duranos but they'll keep you going through winter and maybe give you an excuse to go play in the snow!

Oh, mine have never punctured which is a major bonus once temperatures drop past zero.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • If you are going to get studded tyres then don't leave it too late as they recommend that you ride about 50 kms on the road with them to bed the studs in before you use them on ice/snow. When i lived in Norway you could tell that winter was approaching by the sound of the studs on the roads as the bikes rode past...
  • I have considered travelling in to work on very snowy days on the mountain bike. But only using tracks, trails & paths, avoiding mainstream roads & vehicles as much as possible. Could be fun but time consuming. I would only do this if I really wanted to get to work though. That has yet to happen.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    This week has been my first week using Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tyres as I knew I had to run them in before it got too cold. They certainly are noisy and heavy! I'm hoping that they'll inspire a bit of confidence on the coming cold frosty/icy/snowy yorkshire days though.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    In a way it's the over confidence they inspire that's dangerous. Once your legs get used to the extra weight you'll start pushing to hard on ice, down snowy trails. But when you go down on ice you slide and when you fall into snow it's usually soft.

On the first day of really heavy snow take to the roads, it'll be one of a handful of commutes where you are the fastest thing on the road.

I'll be using them on an hardtail for the first time this year, should make navigating the icy ruts fun.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    For the past 2 years I have been using some DIY studded, knobbly tyres. They let me ride with far more confidence than the usual commuter road-bike tyres and I can cope with ice and compressed snow.
    We barely get enough freezeup in the SE to justify Marathon Winters. The self-tapping screws still have another season or 2 left in them and the cheap tyres are barely worn. The best donor tyre is one having big , widely spaced knobbles.