Halfords Boxed Bikes?

Caller
Caller Posts: 124
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at getting one of the Boardman CX bikes form Halfords and was just a bit curious about what assembly is needed on the 'unbuilt' 'bikes?
There's going to be the obvious things like fitting wheels, saddle and pedals but does anyone know if they come with the bars built up with levers and tape fitted?
I'm pretty competent with bike repairs so fitting cables and setting up the gears isn't an issue.

Comments

• LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    The majority of bikes will come with levers fitted and bars taped. It's just a matter of putting it altogether and making sure it's done properly.

If you know your way round a bike then it'll be easy enough to be honest. I used to be able to build a bike from a box in under 15 minutes, Specialized and Giant are almost complete when they come out of the box. The last few bikes i've bought i just take the box and do it myself.
  • Which model are you going for? I can't decide.
  • I'm looking the cx comp as a commuting bike, seems a bargain at £540 after BC discount
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    LiamW wrote:
    making sure it's done properly.

In that case don't get Halfords to assemble it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    Got a CX Team from my local Halfords this time last year. It was fully assembled, all I had to do was set the saddle height and fit some pedals. After the first ride, I had to make a slight adjustment to the front derailleur high limit screw as it overshifted. Other than that, it was OK.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    arran77 wrote:
    LiamW wrote:
    making sure it's done properly.

In that case don't get Halfords to assemble it :wink:

Yup. Methodically check all fasteners, from one end to the other. My MTB had a loose derailleur hanger and a loose crank bolt.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Caller
    Robert72 wrote:
    Which model are you going for? I can't decide.

I'm going for the CX Team.

By the sound of it I'll be as well off getting it boxed and sorting the build myself, I didn't think there'd be much to do but thought I'd check first!
    I'm looking the cx comp as a commuting bike, seems a bargain at £540 after BC discount
    I read somewhere that they're doing another 10% off bikes promotion the first week of December. From what I understand you can also use the BC discount with this so the CX Comp would be about £490 :D
  • Not quite that much saving, but you can get 3% off via quidco too in addition to the 10% BC and 10% promo.

Ive been using mine for racing, it's great fun!
  • Caller
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Not quite that much saving, but you can get 3% off via quidco too in addition to the 10% BC and 10% promo.

Ive been using mine for racing, it's great fun!

Excellent, I'll be trying that as well then :D
    The extra 3% is another £21 on the Team so it drops the price down to just over £700.
  • What is BC?
  • Caller
    What is BC?

British Cycling.

If you're a British Cycling member you can get 10% off at Halfords. Bit of a no brainer if you're buying a bike there as the membership is only about £15 a year.
  • I bought a Boardman MX Race in October under the cycle to work scheme.

Only done a few hundred miles do I really need to take it back for a 6 weeks/3 months service? Is it required as part of the warranty?

I also have a free bike care plan for 12 months which expires tomorrow. Is it worth the hassle or would I better off learning to maintain the bike myself?

Got a few new books for Xmas so am keen to do it myself.

Thanks
  • Learn to do it yourself. Got my cx team from Santa, built by Halfords, needless to say It needed a lot of sorting.
  • Surely halfords just get the bike's in boxed the same way we would get a bike off any online retailer? Can't understand why staff would be fitting components and forks etc to ready built bikes. I can't fault my local halfords, go there for everything and even get components ordered in there.