105 pedal .. Float?

plymouthsteve
plymouthsteve Posts: 139
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi.
I have a 105 groupset, but have used Time pedals due to needing a certain amount of float to keep an old knee problem at bay.
Trouble is I'm fed up of replacing the plastic Time cleats which wear away in a few months, so I'm thinking of going for a set of 5700 105 pedals to match the rest.
Question is, does anyone have anything good or bad to report on the kindness of 105 pedals to a delicate pair of knees/
Many thanks in anticipation.
Or, is there another alternative I should look at without spending a fortune? Merlin have 105's at £39 and I don't really want to go much over £50.

Comments

• Get the yellow cleats, they have plenty of float
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 998
    I too have knee problems tried all sorts of pedals Time, Speedplay etc etc and am currently using Shimano SPD SL 105 pedals and withe the yellow cleats and they are fine.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Trouble is I'm fed up of replacing the plastic Time cleats which wear away in a few months,

Which Time pedals are you referring to? I've had my current set of RXS cleats on my shoes for nearly two years now and they are still going strong...
  • Not sure. They're white and plastic with a carbon blade that acts as a spring. Got a feeling they were referred to as Cafe something or the other?! Sorry
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Sounds like xpresso
  • If you need a lot of float, speedplay are the answer. The X range have most float, but it is non adjustable. That means if you are duck footed you have a veeeery long way to go to unclip. The zeros bring adjustment into it, and the float isn't sprung like on other pedals. Thy cost a lot more though.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)