Brake upgrade advice

lizzylad84
lizzylad84 Posts: 26
edited November 2013 in Workshop
I seriously need to upgrade the breaks on my bike (trek 1.5) could anyone recommend any particular callipers that might be worth getting? the ones currently on my bike are unbranded alloy ones that came standard when i bought th ebike. ive 105 shifters so does that mean that i need to buy shimano callipers?

rgds
peter

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Given the performance of Shimano calipers, i wouldnt bother looking anywhere else. Their pads might not be so great though - so might be worth considering an upgraded set from SwissStop etc
  • cheers paul, ive absolutely no confidence in the current callipers/pads, especially on a decent of anything over 5%
  • Wirral_paul
    This time of year especially - you do need confidence in your tyres and your brakes. A simple pad swap might well make a big difference, but 105 brakes would be a good investment long term i recon. Be aware though - 105 5600 and the next model 5700 arent really interchangeable so do buy calipers to match the levers (if you go for them).
  • thanks again Paul, so is shimano 5600 only compatable with 5600? should i avoid sram, campag, other brands?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    This time of year especially - you do need confidence in your tyres and your brakes. A simple pad swap might well make a big difference, but 105 brakes would be a good investment long term i recon. Be aware though - 105 5600 and the next model 5700 arent really interchangeable so do buy calipers to match the levers (if you go for them).

Shimano suggest that's the case but in reality 5600 and 5700 shifters and calipers will work with each other.
  • Wirral_paul
    lizzylad84 wrote:
    thanks again Paul, so is shimano 5600 only compatable with 5600? should i avoid sram, campag, other brands?

The pull ratio was changed when Shimano brought out the 5700 so if you have 5600 levers and bought 5700 calipers then theoretically you might not get quite the same ultimate power. In reality though - would you notice? Maybe not but then again if you're buying rather than already have some - then may as well stick to matched parts. You should be able to use any calipers - but its nice to keep the groupset matched and Shimano make really good quality parts that work well and wont corrode like some others after a winter's use.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I also have a 2013 Trek 1.5 which had poor brakes. Swapped them out for 105 calipers and they are much better except in the wet. I then put some swisstop green brake pads on and the wet braking is much improved but not as good as in the dry.