1 x 10 setup...

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
kay so looking at over the winter possibly going to 1 x 10 set up. but with me using my bike to comute also i would like the range so looking at the General Lee adaptor do they work okay with the Sram x9 type 2 mech??

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes. But the reviews of the GL have not been too good. Personally going to 40 from 36, for that money is not worth it for the quicker wear and poorer shifting.
  • Dawesy92
    Ahh right okay then, ive not seen any reviews for them so thanks for that!!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's not exactly cheap either. Quite honestly considering the offers on XX1 on some of the German sites I'd be seriously contemplating it if you have decent kit to sell to offset it.

Otherwise just do it with an 11-36 block.
  • I have had XX1 and saved a fair wedge of money by buying bits from various places. In the end we got a full XX1 group set with a ceramic bottom bracket for less than the full group set with no bottom bracket or chainring from bike-discount.

If you want to know where I got various bits cheapest drop me a pm.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Not sure the type 2 works with the general lee...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Dawesy92
    Getting really tempted to go to 1 x 10 (not using general lee though) over the xmas break when i strip the bike down for a good clean a re grease. but i dont know how it would stand being as i used the bike to commute too "/
    What are people opinions...?
  • Seems nuts to me.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    1x systems are the way forward imo. I've just got a General Lee so will give it a go ASAP and see how I get on. Tbh my current 11-36 and 34t chainring are spot on for 90% of my riding, but intrigued to see how the bigger range goes. I'm going to run mine with an XTR shadow + but it should work fine with an X9 type 2.
  • Dawesy92
    If it was 100% trail bike i would do, its just cause i use it too commute too work too im unsure how i would fair with it haha!! looking to run normal 11-36 cassette with 36T ring up front, so not too sure just yet..
  • lawman
    I used a 34t on the CCC2CC and had no problems on the road sections, used it to commute as well and it's been fine.
  • Dawesy92
    Lawman your putting expensive ideas in the grinders in my mind here haha!!!
  • lawman
    Haha, trust me it'll be worth it! I love the simplicity, shifter on the right, dropper remote on the left. The range of gears is reasonable for 1x10 atm, obviously XX1/X01 have a bigger range but like I say 90% of the time my 34/36 bottom gear has been spot on.

What I'm really interested in is this though -

MG_3803-555x370.jpg

http://www.i-mtb.com/first-look-leonard ... -cassette/

10-40t 10speed using the XD freehub, could open up a lot of potential for people not able or don't want to have to spend massively to get the full benefit 1x drivetrains can offer. Having said that, by the time Leonardi have got it ready for production, I imagine Sram and Shimano will both have cheaper, probably better performing 1x11 systems out.
  • Dawesy92
    Looks nice.. It's getting tempting I will admit May be done not sure :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    If it was 100% trail bike i would do, its just cause i use it too commute too work too im unsure how i would fair with it haha!!
    It shouldn't be hard to work out what gear ratios you use on a regular commute and see what you need (as opposed to want), or given the price of the kit, just get a cheap commuting hack on slicks and you'll have a better commuter anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dawesy92
    Tbh mate, that has crossed my mind anyway.. will see qhat happens around xmas :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I have a 36t with 11-36 on mine, and I do find it undergeared on the road. Fine on the flat, but anything remotely downhill does have you spinning like a loon. Wouldn't do it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed my dedicated road commuter has 46T up front and an 11-28 cassette, I don't spin that out on road, but can hit 45mph which can be useful.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dawesy92
    May just do it, but at the same time try and sort a half decent hybrid thing for going to work with more road orientated gears and keep the warrior for trail use..