Deep section Wheels v tall heavy rider

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Would like to get a pair of deep section carbon/alu wheels for my good bike,been looking at a set on planet x. I have heard some stories about rider weight limits (i'm 16 stone) will these 20/24 spoke wheels be strong enough just for general riding/training ? been told i should be riding 32 or 36 spoke at all times but i want my bike to look good also with a nice set of wheels :D . cheers.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Spoke life is dependent on rider weight, riding style, power put through the wheels e.t.c. The lower the spoke count the shorter the spoke life. You may get half decent spoke life from low spoke count wheel (stiff rims will help) if you are very kind to them but given your weight the chances are spoke life maybe shorter than is desirable.

Higher spoke counts just last longer. Training to me means wheels that are reliable for high miles. All other considerations should be secondary. On that basis a 32 spoke count rear with a rim like the Kinlin XR270 or XR -300 if you want a resonably light and stiff wheel or even better the Velocity Deep V or DT Swiss RR585. The later two rims would be the best choice but the RR585 is quite heavy still as it is for training that is not a problem. Spokes should be Sapim Race or DT comps and a hub with big cartridge bearings like the Miche Primato/racing box or a cup and cone hub like Shimano 105/ultegra/dura ace or campagnolo Record are perfect.

Spoke life is down to fatigue nothing to do with strength.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • having killed numerous sets myself at 6'4'' and 96 kg I know your issue. FFWD F6C's are a good option, im riding celeste F6R's which have less spokes all year with no issues whatsoever. For best bling these are a good option. (personal experience not reading reviews and taking it as fact).
    I rode planet x 82/101 tubs for 4 years without any failures. The 50's will not take your weight unless you are just fat with no power.
    Have killed numerous cosmic carbones, kyseriums, model a's and b's, a disc as well as traditionally spoked handbuilds.
    Some 36 good quality all round wheels that will ride well are always worth having in the garage.
    I have some hope pro3 hub and kinlin k10 builds and some hope pro 3 and mavix cxp 33 builds that I love and use for various functions.
    Deep looks good and helps above 20 mph ish but it is important to remember they have limitations.
  • I was also going to mention the F6C's.

http://www.ffwdwheels.com/products/wheels/road-tubular/f6c/

Personally I think most carbon wheels should have 28 spokes in the rear (and I'm all of 67kg). Everyone I know with carbon wheels complain about brake rub and it's not because the rims aren't stiff enough...
  • cycleclinic
    Brake rub is mostly caused by frame flex if the wheels are very stiff. 28H carbon rim can be bought or made, I plan to import some for disc brake wheels only though (there are good reasons to use carbon rims on disc brake wheels). For training deep carbon is kind of unnecessary. It is fun though but the monent you up the spoke count there goes the aero advantage you have paid dearly for so what really is the point.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Thanks guys for the replies. I had a pair of DT Swiss wheels on my hire bike in mallorca this summer and were fine and looked good on the cube bike also. think they were 28 spoked. The reason i looked at Planet X was that for a 1st pair of deep section wheels i can live with trashing a £400 set of wheels than trashing say a pair of Zipp 404's at £1400 8) .Cheers cycleclinic i think i will opt for the DT's or Ambrosio FCS 28 TQBs.
  • zipp's 14 stone limit??
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Most fit riders of around 100kg or more will really put wheels under pressure due to their weight and additional strength compared to riders who are a lot lighter if they do high mileage. The choice is risk lighter wheels and accept they will probably need replacing more often or go for a minimum of 32 spokes per wheel with stronger rims.

Be careful as a lot of manufacturers set quite low weight limits for their wheels.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Thanks guys for the replies. I had a pair of DT Swiss wheels on my hire bike in mallorca this summer and were fine and looked good on the cube bike also. think they were 28 spoked. The reason i looked at Planet X was that for a 1st pair of deep section wheels i can live with trashing a £400 set of wheels than trashing say a pair of Zipp 404's at £1400 8) .Cheers cycleclinic i think i will opt for the DT's or Ambrosio FCS 28 TQBs.

I did build one set of FCS 28... hard to find in the UK

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/med ... ail/16/476

They are solid rims, well built, very stiff and certainly durable (the brake track is very thick!). Quite heavy, compared to other 28 mm V rims, but of course that means they last longer. Ideal for a heavy rider
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    The DT Swiss RR585 is the commonly available rims in the one ugo mentioned. 32H 585g. The last set I built in 28F/32R count with Miche hubs weighed in at 1900g for the set. Not too bad I think given the Race spokes, heavyish hubs and very heavy rims.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    I would either go with the FFWD (there 20/24 wheel are good up to 90kg, so the 28 spoke rear should stand up to a heavy rider.

Consider Halo Mercury Rims if you want deeper section rims with high spoke count and low weight. Can get them in 32 hole drillings and would make a lightweight (if not uber deep) wheel paired with a reasonable set of hubs.
  • cycleclinic
    Are not those rims rebadged Kinlin XR-300 but at a higher price? So yes they are a possibility but I have already mentioned this rim above!
  • Are not those rims rebadged Kinlin XR-300 but at a higher price? So yes they are a possibility but I have already mentioned this rim above!

They are rebadged Kinlin, but they cost the same
    left the forum March 2023
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Hadn't realised the Halos were rebadged rims. They do come in a nice wide variety of colours with some flashy looking decals from Halo. My friend gets on well with them, with a low spoke count front wheel and relatively high spoke count rear wheel. £50 was the price I saw for them.
  • cycleclinic
    £50 is more expensive than a Kinlin in all the places I have seen including my place. However the difference is not big but Kinlin rims are imported by the distributor in black only. Still a 20H front for a 16 stone rider may not last well.