Winter MTB Shoe - For the road....

Paul_GTR
Paul_GTR Posts: 8
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
After some help re choice of shoes. Picking up my winter bike this weekend and need to buy some SPD (MTB) cleat compatible shoes. Now bearing in mind that I have only previously road in summer road shoes I have no experience in riding in these conditions.

My riding will only be on road, but on mainly probably wet, grit and a bit muddy country roads.
Do I need a shoe that is waterproof? Or is it best to wear shoe covers if its raining?
They will need to be reasonably warm, but I won't be out in sub zero temperatures.
Don't want anything too chunky like a walking shoe, but I need to able walk on them with at least some comfort.
Price range is up to £150 max. My feet are slightly wider than normal.

Any suggestions? How about the Mavic Scree? Shimano MW81 Gore-Tex?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Overshoes are as good as proper mtb boots for the road IMHO, I had some goretex shimano boots when I was commuting for about a year and my feet were still freezing after an hour. Normal road or mtb shoes and some decent overshoes (I like my BBB ones best) are great.

The only reason I'd have mtb boots would be if I was doing a lot of mtbing in the cold and wet and would be doing a lot of walking. Overshoes are crap for walking in.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017