iTunes duplicate ID!?

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,079
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
So, the laptop I use to run itunes crashed and blue screened so I had to eventually reinstall windows and itunes.

I drag all my files into the new itunes and all seems ok (except for half of the album art is missing for some reason...another matter)

To turn on Genius I have to sign in so I use my usual email address, change the forgotten password and sign in.

I have to create my Apple ID so I go through a couple of stages and then when I get to a part when I have to input my card details... I'll be damned... card details are blank but there's a postal address for somebody with the same name as me who lives in Surrey! There's a phone number for my friend with the same name which I ring but it gives an out of service tone but I'm damned if I'm going to put my card details in because the whole thing seems very insecure!

Apple are supposed to be so damn clever but this doesn't seem that smart to me. I've never bought anything on itunes as I just rip cd's and other files straight onto itunes but I do like the genius feature which requires signing in.

How can this be!?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Dunno but I posted on here before about a similar issue. Someone else appeared to be using my account and all the (really crap) music they were buying ended up in my account. I wasn't charged or seeing the receipts so I assume they had somehow registered my account to theirs in some way. I've changed my password and haven't had it happen since.
  • heavymental
    I remember reading that thread, Pross. I do vaguely recall that when I first bought my ipod and set up itunes it told me my email address was already registered so I had to use another one that has since become obsolete when hotmail/outlook changed recently. It didn't occur to me at the time but because theoretically, every email address should be unique, it shouldn't have been possible that my email address was already registered. Confused.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I would contact Apple about this, as it's an account security issue:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

and change your email password, just in case.
  • heavymental
    Well, I got in touch with Apple via their callback service (phoned me within 60 seconds) and its all a bit confusing. The only thing I can think of is that someone set up the account using my address having mis-spelt their own email address.