Hybrid bike tyre/tube sizes for rollers

Fletch_Belfast
Fletch_Belfast Posts: 13
edited November 2013 in MTB general
I'm looking to get a set of rollers soon, but I want to change the tyres on my hybrid bike (Carrera Subway, from Halfords) to some kind of trainer tyre to make sure the noise is reduced as much as possible. (I live in a flat)

The tyres on my bike are currently 26 x 1.95 . The closest match to that I can find is the Continental Hometrainer II MTB on the Wiggle website, which is 26 x 1.75 .

My question is will it fit my rims ok, and can I get away with using my current tubes..? If the tyre is 2 tenths of an inch narrower than my current ones, will it move around on the rim at all?

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi, thanks for replying.

But I have to ask if your reply is based on experience or are you just assuming it will be ok..?
  • Go for a full slick. (Im assuming you want to use it on the road aswell?)

Schwalbe City Jet, Schwalbe Kojak, Maxxis Detonator, Michelin Wild Run`r (i use the michelin, really good road tyre, very light, very fast, very cheap)
  • cooldad
    The size will be fine though. I do talk from experience. Of tyres, not of rollers though as I can't see the point.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Go for a full slick. (Im assuming you want to use it on the road aswell?)

Schwalbe City Jet, Schwalbe Kojak, Maxxis Detonator, Michelin Wild Run`r (i use the michelin, really good road tyre, very light, very fast, very cheap)

Actually, no. The only thing worse than a British summer is a British winter... I'll be staying indoors for the foreseeable future, possibly indefinitely.

So if a slick tyre is suitable, possibly perfect for the job on rollers, what is the deal with these trainer specific tyres..? Are they just a con?
  • cooldad
    So why not take up knitting instead of mountain biking?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    So why not take up knitting instead of mountain biking?

Knitting sounds too hardcore for me.

I suffer from crippling depression. I need things to be as easy as possible, then maybe they'll get done, just maybe.

To have to get up 2 or 3 times a week knowing that I have to have a bath before I go out so I'm clean, spend x amount of minutes dodging traffic and pedestrians and dog shit and who knows what else, in the pissing rain and cold, then come home and have a second bath, it's just a massive chore. I need the bike sitting beside the rollers ready to go when I'm ready. I need my cardio sessions to fit my lifestyle, not anyone elses...
  • cooldad
    Fair enough.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools