TellmeG Impact sensor project for DH & XC- Feedback

zehigh
zehigh Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in MTB general
I am looking for feedback on the new TellmeG impact sensor application for DH & XC. It has been mostly tested in XC but I feel that it would also be quite valuable in DH.

The TellmeG MTB app is basically a High G impact sensor that you attach on the handlebar or the suspension and it actually provides precise impact value ( in acceleration unit, G) of the impact felt by the bike or the suspension components.
Throughout our testing, we found it provides great feedback on the ability of a mountain biker going downhill to choose the best path (avoiding rocks, boulders, holes) and maintain speed. A low average impact value was most of the time associated with the best time to complete a downhill section.
We also used it to adjust the suspension settings and to compare suspension on different bikes. It really helps in providing a real number to a suspension behavior instead of just relying on "feeling".

The Project is hosted here on KStarter:
http://kck.st/17cJCTr

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats not going to be useful for downhill. The fastest line is rarely the smoothest. A stopwatch is much more useful.
    Also I don't want to have my expensive and fragile smartphone in my pocket when I fall off in a rock garden
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So you joined to drum up finance?

And spamming the internet to do it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    I didn't spot the kickstarter link. If I saw that I should have know it would be useless.
  • I agree that I should have make it more clear that this project was on Kickstarter. If this is considered spam than this post should be removed - I also agree. However I honestly think this is a new potential application for High G acceleration device in MTB. Whether it is considered useful or not, the feedback provided by rockmonkeySC is exactly what I was looking for. I added pictures to the original post so it is not necessary to follow the link.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Having a G sensor in your pocket (or anywhere on your upper body) won't work. The riders knees provide a lot of suspension. Just look at a helmet cam video of Fort William downhill track. The video will look smooth but the bike will be constantly bouncing over rocks, there are no smooth lines.
    The only way to get accurate data is to attach a g sensor to the bikes fork lowers.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I'm not sure how useful this device would be, I can see the benefit a device that records how much suspension travel you would use on a particular run to help with set up if there was something that could be plotted.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have an o-ring on my fork to tell me how much travel I have used.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I think it's pretty interesting actually. Remain unconvinced of the actual benefits from a training perspective, but it appeals to my inner geek!
  • This may actually be worse than the 'make a 3d model of your ride by carrying a smartphone' idea.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I have an o-ring on my fork to tell me how much travel I have used.

Yes, but if that was when you were bouncing it round the car park it aint much use.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Can't really see much use unless it plots a whole ride out, otherwise you would only use it for a section at a time, a couple of practice runs will give you all you need to know to get the best line not a G meter.
  • Let me explain how we think it is useful. Let's say for example you are a novice or a beginner. You attach the sensor to your fork (there is no smartphone at all required - it is a standalone device) and go down the trail.
    When you hit stuff hard because you take the wrong path or you just don't go fast enough to 'fly over' rocks and depression, your speed will be reduced. That is just physics, you can`t go around it.
    Now for a beginner in training, the coaching would be like this. Go down the trail and try to keep that average impact value to a minimum first - forget about the time.
    Once you reach that objective, try increasing your speed and reduce the time to complete the trail.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I think you have invented something because you can not because there is a need.
  • rockmonkeysc
    WindyG wrote:
    I think you have invented something because you can not because there is a need.

That describes just about everything on kickstarter!

Does the OP have any idea about mountain biking? The smoothest line is not always the best. All this device will do is teach beginners that bumps are bad rather than teach tem how to ride.
    Half a day with a professional coach will teach a beginner more than this could in a year and a coaching session will teach other skills and probably cost less.
    Being a smooth rider is not about taking the smoothest line, its about maintaining flow, that often involves taking technical, rocky lines to hold more speed through a corner or straight line a section or get a good line in to a jump.
  • As rockmonkey mentioned.. the best way to find out if you're taking the best line is to time a run.

If your suspension is set up wrong or of you really do take the wrong line, you'll be on the deck.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I drove a Skyline with the g-meter built in.

The novelty lasted about 3 seconds before I realised looking at the road and trying not to die was more fun and more sensible.

I imagine the same would occur if I had one on my bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    As rockmonkey mentioned.. the best way to find out if you're taking the best line is to time a run.

And he never agrees with me!