newbie - how much is too much to spend..

scooby_doo_do
scooby_doo_do Posts: 31
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
Hi All,

So i'm looking at getting a new road bike (currently have a mountain bike which i cover 2k miles a year on) ,and although i've been to the local bike shop and a few others, i've just found myself confused on what i should buy and how much i should spend for comfort/value etc.
I've seen a Giant Defy 2, however i couldn't find the right fit for it and felt very uncomfortable (i'm 6"2 and tried both Large and Med/Large), i then looked at a canondale 8 105 which was a little bit more and seemed comfortable. However on the top end of the budget and some more, I've seen a Giant TCR advanced SL 4 which i love the look off but not too sure if it's a bit too special/costly for a beginner as such and if i should go for something a lot cheaper, but i'm guessing i won't ever have to replace this one, whereas the other's i might upgrade/change over time.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Get the best frame you can with the best components you can, this is far cheaper than buying cheap then upgrading.
    Being a 'beginner' is not even a consideration when getting a new bike IMO as you won't always be a 'beginner'. :)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    As mentioned, go for the best frame you can, but bear in mind that's components can be upgraded as and when you want to.

Bear in mind your requirements; touring, racing, training, just riding etc, as some bikes will be more suited to you than others. A flashy, aggressive frame may look good in the shop, but you may regret the choice after some time riding it.

Test ride as many as you can and enjoy !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Thanks guys,
    was going to be using the bike for mainly 30-50 mile routes out with freinds but would like to start doing some sportives as well as the charity rides.
    My other concern is the weather and the lack of use the bike would possibly get over the winter - but on the plus side the bikes i'm looking at are on sale, so cheaper.
  • With bikes as with computers and cars etc, buy the best you can afford at the time. If it's a choice between groupset and frame quality then go for the frame, as the groupset can easily be upgraded.

Don't worry about the winter, they do end eventually :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't think breaking the bank is the right way to do it. For under a grand you can get many decent bikes.
    If you double the budget then you won't get twice the value.

If you aren't going to ride the bike in winter - then I'd wait until spring. Why buy a bike and put it away after a week or two ?

BUT unless its icy out MTFU and go out and ride - decent bike kit will let you ride in just about any temperature.
  • Are you married...? = Spend a little

Are you single...? = Spend loads

As some point you'll become the first and wish you were the second.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Thanks guys,
    was going to be using the bike for mainly 30-50 mile routes out with freinds but would like to start doing some sportives as well as the charity rides.
    My other concern is the weather and the lack of use the bike would possibly get over the winter - but on the plus side the bikes i'm looking at are on sale, so cheaper.
    IMHO, up to about £2k will get you all the bike you will ever need, beyond that you are well into diminishing returns. Don't be afraid of the winter though, pop on some mudguards, get some warm kit and clean the bike when you get back if it's dirty. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You are right to test ride some bikes to get an idea. The Cannondale website will have the measurements for the setup of their bike so that may help you choose a similar bike within your budget.

I recently bought my first Road bike and in the end went for a Trek 1.5 as it was on sale for £700. I was looking for a comfortable 10 speed compact bike and after a test ride bought one. I have since replaced the original brakes which were not the best which cost me £50 and adjusted the setup to suit me which just cost a bit of time.

Make a list of what you want from a bike and carry on checking the sales. After a point spending more on a bike unless you know exactly what you want can be a waste of money. The key is getting the right size and style of road bike.
  • The correct answer is n minus £1. n being the amount of money that will trigger the missus filing for divorce. :wink:

As a beginner I would go for a more relaxed 'sportive bike' with a carbon frame and maybe a 105 groupset. There are some good offers on 2013 bikes at the mo, expect to pay in excess of £1,000 depending on the spec. I wouldn't spend over £2,000 unless a) money is no object, or b) you intend to take up racing and/or will be putting in some serious training. Check out the reviews and make sure the frame is quality, the wheels can be upgraded later.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • My train of thought on this.... Buy something around the £500-£700 mark now, if you're new to road bikes you'll be amazed how light and fast a bike feels at this price point and then see how you get on. Then as you learn more about your riding style and needs, in 6 months upgrade. That way you'll have the pleasure of buying two bikes, the first of which you can either sell to put towards the new bike, or keep it for a bad weather / training bike.
  • My train of thought on this.... Buy something around the £500-£700 mark now, if you're new to road bikes you'll be amazed how light and fast a bike feels at this price point and then see how you get on. Then as you learn more about your riding style and needs, in 6 months upgrade. That way you'll have the pleasure of buying two bikes, the first of which you can either sell to put towards the new bike, or keep it for a bad weather / training bike.

Only problem is that the whole package will cost him £500 - £700 plus another £1000 - £1200 in six months time, making a grand total of £1700, which is a sum of money that would buy him one very good bike. I'm not saying your suggestion doesn't have some merit, but it only really pays dividends should he not get into road biking and hence not have wasted so much money.

Far better, I would have thought, to shell out an extra three or four hundred pounds at the outset and get an entry level carbon bike on the assumption that he is going to make sufficient use of it. Unless there's a huge price differential, I would always opt for the bottom end of quality, rather than the top end of basic. If he does get into road biking even in a moderate way he'll never be truly satisfied with a £600 bike. From £1000 you can get a pretty decent bike which will meet most riders requirements for speed, comfort and durability (real, not perceived!) for several years. There is also little point in upgrading components if the frame isn't good quality. The £600 bike will always be a £600 bike. The £1000 bike is qualitatively better and also versatile.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    My train of thought on this.... Buy something around the £500-£700 mark now, if you're new to road bikes you'll be amazed how light and fast a bike feels at this price point and then see how you get on. Then as you learn more about your riding style and needs, in 6 months upgrade. That way you'll have the pleasure of buying two bikes, the first of which you can either sell to put towards the new bike, or keep it for a bad weather / training bike.

Have to agree with the above, until you have ridden a road bike for a while you can't know what you want / need so buy a good lower cost bike and you will know a lot more in 6 months.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You only know you've spent too much when you can't keep up the payments and the repo men come and take away your bike / telly / X-box.
  • thanks for the replies guys.

The bikes i had in mind in order of price were Scott Speedster 30 (£650ish) Giant Defy Composite 2, or Caad 8 105 (£1000ish), or the tcr advanced sl 4 (£1900sih), although i'm leaning towards the speedster or the caad 8. I'm hoping to use it about 3/4 times a week in the summer, and occasion in the winter if i fancy a change from the mtb.

Think i'll go out and try a few more this weekend and decide.

thanks
  • £1,000 to £1,900 is quite a jump. Perhaps consider something on the £1,500 mark? You can get a good carbon frame and good groupset for that price.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Are you married...? = Spend a little

Are you single...? = Spend loads

As some point you'll become the first and wish you were the second.

Then, in my experience you will get divorced, and wish you had married your second wife first.

Anyway, to be honest all bikes at £!500 are good - some better, some worse, but all good. I'm fit and 65 kilos, and can outclimb myself on a £200 fixie than myself a year ago on a £2k carbon bike. In other words, just go the the bike shop (LBS best), then buy the one that looks the nicest. If it's a Bianchi/Cinelli/Willier/Colagno/whatever, its perfectly acceptable for it to be woefully uncomfortable, so long as you pretend that it's not, and spend quite a lot of time staring at it. I also suggest you keep it in the living room for a week - it's how I break all my new bikes in ("Look at it, its so beautiful! Look at it!")
    Insert bike here:
  • Good advice :D.

For £1,500 you should have at least a carbon frame, and at least a 105 groupset. Even then that gives you masses of choice :)

e.g. This for £1,500 is pretty much my bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec054445
  • Between now and about March you can get some fairly decent deals in LBS' in end of season sales. So long as you don't mind having "last year's model". I got my bike in March and got 25% off the usual price because they were trying to clear out the 2012 model. :D Can be a good way to get a bit more for less.

And don't worry that you couldn't get comfy on your first choice. Despite all the adjustability, geometry does vary slightly between manufacturers. From everything I'd read online I wanted a Specialized (I was after a hybrid) but I simply couldn't get the fit right on them when I tried it, and ended up with another make that I hadn't even considered at the time. Seems to me it's like cars - there are some where you simply can't get a perfect driving position for your body proportions.

Also try and find an LBS that's good and honest. When I got mine, I asked them what the benefit was in the next model up in the line that was £100 more. They said practically nothing - you'd mainly be choosing it because you prefer the colour. 8)
  • cougie
    Of those - I'd go for the Speedster. If you like cycling - then its a decent bike and you can be very happy on it for a good while. If after a while you decide you love cycling and hanker after a new bike - then the Speedster becomes your winter bike and you can justify spending a bit more on the new bike as it won't have to ride through crappy cruddy salty conditions.

If you dont like cycling - then youve only lost £650.

The bike is almost the cheap part.
    Factor in another £500 or so for your clothes, shoes, hat etc etc. (And that is probably on the low side)

If you went with Assos - and bought their best winter kit - this would be the damage. And you'd need new stuff come Spring :

Jacket 350
    Tights 335
    LS Jersey 135
    Overshoes 125
    Undervest 108
    Hat 98
    Gloves 83
    Socks 13
    Total 1247
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    Thanks guys,
    IMHO, up to about £2k will get you all the bike you will ever need, beyond that you are well into diminishing returns. Don't be afraid of the winter though, pop on some mudguards, get some warm kit and clean the bike when you get back if it's dirty. :)

Think the law of diminishing returns starts sooner than that today.
    Any bike past £1250-1500 tops (basically any with 105 groupset plus) is more money = less difference. You can buy some pretty excellent kit around £1000 like Planet X etc. although there is always a drawback or cutback.

If I was OP with his kind of money, I would look at Canyons Aluminium range. ...... (Carbon isn't always king...if anyone can find me a carbon or aluminium bike with that high a spec for less then I will eat this webpage)

£1700 - 7.2kg Full Sram Force 22 groupset and Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3284

£1500 - 7.3kg Full Ultegra 6800 and Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3237

Thinking back on my first bikes etc I would have definitely spent more on a really good bike that would last me a few years than spend less and upgrade over a few years. ... saying that upgrades are fun!
  • There is an old adage that i tend to stick too..... "buy it once, buy it right".

When i mentioned on here that i was after a road bike and my budget was upto £1000, i was told by a few souls that it was best for me to buy a cheaper bike for between £400-500 (because i was a "beginner"), and then upgrade to a better bike later on. Like its been said by a few before, this is a complete waste of money and makes no economical sense whatsoever.
    The bikes i had in mind in order of price were Scott Speedster 30 (£650ish) Giant Defy Composite 2, or Caad 8 105 (£1000ish), or the tcr advanced sl 4 (£1900sih), although i'm leaning towards the speedster or the caad 8.

Does your choice in bikes have to be from the "mainstream"?

You can get a lot more for your money from the likes of Dolan, Ribble and Planet X. You can also tailor your components, wheels and finishing kit to suit your needs and not get lumped with what the mainstream manufacturers decide to give you.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • cougie
    It makes perfect sense not to max out the budget if you're beginning.
    How many people come on here having made a mistake with their first bike and gone for something too low and sporty when they'd have been better off with a more upright sportif bike ?
    How many people decide they dont like cycling after their initial flirtation and then are left with a bike on their hands ?
    There was a classic on Ebay the other week - Pinarello Dogma in Movistar colours, shorts, top, cap, helmet all matching - yours for 12 grand. An expensive mistake.

Most serious cyclists have a winter bike and a best bike anyway - you're better off heading down the end of the market that gets you a winter bike rather than the 12 grand dream machine that you'll keep falling off because you're new to clipless pedals.

PX and co do do great value machines - but the OP has already told us he's confused - so he'd be better off getting a good relationship going with a decent LBS who can advise and tinker with his position to get it right.

Jules - if i read it right - you've only had your bike a few weeks ?
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    You can definitely get something decent for £500-£700. Why not do that and use it to get into road cycling. You might find it perfectly adequate or you may catch the bug big time and want to upgrade. At least then you'll have a bike that you can either use, sell on for a decent return or a bike that will serve you well as a winter/training bike. Don't go too cheap or you will regret it - heavy, poor quality, negligible resale value.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Crescent wrote:
    You can definitely get something decent for £500-£700. Why not do that and use it to get into road cycling. You might find it perfectly adequate or you may catch the bug big time and want to upgrade. At least then you'll have a bike that you can either use, sell on for a decent return or a bike that will serve you well as a winter/training bike. Don't go too cheap or you will regret it - heavy, poor quality, negligible resale value.

I agree with this. Most folks who are new to road think they know what they want...but most don't. Many buy the wrong sized bike or a bike with the wrong geo or a bike was right but then isn't as the body changes... or the rider just hasn't worked out what bits they like yet (Shimano/Campag, etc,) or even the part of road biking they like yet (sportive/touring, etc).

A decent £700 bike could be all the bike you need, particularly if upgraded with the right wheels and tyres. Failing that, it would make a cracking winter bike or, if flogged, could recoup most of the money outlaid. As stated elsewhere, the blinking kit is expensive enough but at least that will serve you whatever bike you are on.
  • cougie wrote:
    Jules - if i read it right - you've only had your bike a few weeks ?

Thats correct, but it doesnt mean that mine will end up at the back of the garage gathering cob webs in a few months because of the "Wiggins factor". Besides, i dont class myself has a "beginner" either. I rode a lot when i was in my teens and early 20's, along with a few of my family (one who competed on the track until a bad crash put a stop to that). The only reason it unfortunately petered out was me getting my driving licence..... and women.

Ive been itching to get back on a bike for years and now that ive moved out of the city and living in a more rural location where endless country lanes are on my doorstep and are at my beck and call, that time is now. I cant wait to get the miles back in my legs and to get my fitness back to where it was..... well sort of :wink:
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • cougie
    I think you can get the fitness back to a good standard - train smart. Enjoy your Ribble.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Crescent wrote:

I agree with this. Most folks who are new to road think they know what they want...but most don't. Many buy the wrong sized bike or a bike with the wrong geo or a bike was right but then isn't as the body changes... or the rider just hasn't worked out what bits they like yet (Shimano/Campag, etc,) or even the part of road biking they like yet (sportive/touring, etc).

A decent £700 bike could be all the bike you need, particularly if upgraded with the right wheels and tyres. Failing that, it would make a cracking winter bike or, if flogged, could recoup most of the money outlaid. As stated elsewhere, the blinking kit is expensive enough but at least that will serve you whatever bike you are on.

I would agree with this to. There is a big difference between a £300 and decent £700 road bike. Going higher in price than this means you get less of an improvement for more money and need to know what type of bike you want. If you know what you want like I did when I bought my XC Mountain Bike then it is worth doing but otherwise you may end up with a bike that is of good quality but does not suit your riding needs.
  • I bought a Giant Defy as my first road bike back in January this year. Had no idea at that point what my riding was going to be, like you just going out with mates etc... was my plan. After nearly 10 months I have well and truly got the bug and am out an awful lot on my own, with mates and have just joined a cycling club. I would like to get in to a bit of racing next year as well.

Alternatively I could have bought the bike and got bored after a few weeks. The Giant at £600 at the time gave me a good compromise depending on which way I went.

I am glad I got the Defy as it got me in to the sport and I now know what I am going to use the bike for so have sold it and just bought a Focus Izalco which is a light, racy carbon bike. If you are 100% you are going to get in to it then I would suggest spending money on a good bike now as it will cost less in the long run, if you are not sure get an entry level road bike now and see where it takes you. I only lost £250 on the Giant in 10 months as I looked after it and sold it in good nick.
  • cougie wrote:
    I think you can get the fitness back to a good standard - train smart. Enjoy your Ribble.

Cheers fella.

Back to the thread now.....
    If you are 100% you are going to get in to it then I would suggest spending money on a good bike now as it will cost less in the long run

^^^^^ I agree with this 100%