Specialized Hardrock 2012 brake upgrade?

Insatiable
Insatiable Posts: 2
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey folks, new to this so be kind :-)

I have a Specialized Hardrock 2012, have not been riding it because I'm unhappy with some components - namely brake levers and pedals. Pedals are an easy fix but I am less confident in my ability to choose good levers!!

My knowledge is fairly basic so all advice gratefully received. The levers feel cheap and I don't have great confidence in them, can I get good quality levers without having to upgrade the brake system itself? In time I will upgrade the forks also but not until I've worn them out!

Any ideas? Oh an aside is that I have to get them from Evans (RTW scheme)...

Thanks for any help

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Do you really mean lever? Or do you mean the whole assembly that is attached to the handle bars?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And the brakes are?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just replace the complete brake system with Shimano Deore. I got a set for £65 back in the summer from Bikediscount.de
  • pesky_jones
    Just replace the complete brake system with Shimano Deore. I got a set for £65 back in the summer from Bikediscount.de

Haha how do you know what he has is worse than deore
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    A couple of the 2012 Hardrock models had rim brakes.
    OP needs to provide more details.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

Hardrocks come with a selection of terrible brakes.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

I just got a set of XTs from CRC for £113.68 (and ended up getting a couple of extra pairs of pads FOC too) :)
  • pesky_jones

Hardrocks come with a selection of terrible brakes.
    Fair play
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    And the brakes are?
    Until he comes back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools