It could end in tears!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,550
    What's the point it taking a risk like that?
  • What could possibly go wrong?

phinney-620x437.png
  • just another day at the office
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    All the pro teams do that. I saw the British Cycling team car and that had plenty of 20mm wide rubber stripes down the back bumper.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Last time I tailed a car that close in traffic I braked so hard I did an endo with full panniers on the back - just about got away with it, and haven't ridden that close since...

As for the car - perhaps they could mount derny rollers to the rear bumper?!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Lightweights. http://www.donhoubicycles.com/experimen ... peed-film/

Sounds like Guy Martin & Laura Trott are in for the same kind of thing. http://www.guymartinracing.co.uk/a-new- ... uy-in-2014

I was just about to pick up the slipstream of a lorry when one of its back wheels turned through 90°. :-o
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I once tried jumping my old self made BMX bike over a ramp placed on top of an old mattress. When I hit the ramp I was going to slow and the ramp sunk down into one of the springs and I went over the bars and scraped my face on the pave for a good few yards owwwwwwwww . We also built this ramp construction out of builders scaffolding planks. It was really high up about 12 feet . I nearly made it but just could not get enough speed to jump off and land on my back wheel. instead I went over the bars and I swear I did a bit of a free fall but there was no parachute just the hard pave owwwwwww again. I did a wheelie once .the full length of the road I used to live. But it was on this gIrls bike with a basket and even though I felt like Travis P It looked sh%%.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    This isnt the T&R thread then?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    edited November 2013
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Oh dear have I gone to far off topic again , I do apologise.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,550
    I don't see how they get any more benefit being that close than they would being a couple of metres back.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    You see the reason why when you're actually there being paced back on. If you're a couple of metres back and the car brakes hard then you'll plow into the back of it and be in serious trouble. If you're right on the tailgate then your front tyre just makes contact and it's basically bike the car acting as a brake. Not really that risky if you know what you're doing.
    Plus the rider can see through the windows and would know if any obstacles are coming up so he can slip to one side as the vehicle brakes.
    That picture tells only one story from the side view but in reality it is probably a straight road without obstacles or side turnings.
    That rider hasn't got a death wish and is following a driver who knows he is there.
    Been there, done that. :!: No Probs
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972