which rims for my stumpjumper

bennyy
bennyy Posts: 141
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just bought a 2009 stumpjumper elite, on at the moment are a pair of mavic crossride, but both are bucked and need trueing, and both hubs have play, front one has an awful sounding creak.

Niw do I buy a new wheelset, or new hubs and have my rims trued? Whatare the cross ride like as a rim? I do mainly xc but would like to match them to the bike, 2/3/4foot drops etc.

Opinions please.

Craig

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    What's you budge for new wheels? Superstar hubs with Stan's crest or Arch EX rims would be my choice.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Seconded, or Hope hubs.
  • bennyy
    Cheers guys, don't really have a budget set, it costs what it costs, would rather not go mad though. Probably Upto £300. Is there not just a wheelset I could buy that comes ready to go? Rather than have to order hubs and rims seperate and have them built?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hope hubs with Mavic XM719. Light and solid.
  • bennyy wrote:
    Cheers guys, don't really have a budget set, it costs what it costs, would rather not go mad though. Probably Upto £300. Is there not just a wheelset I could buy that comes ready to go? Rather than have to order hubs and rims seperate and have them built?

The superstar wheels come built. Take a look at the website.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I've used a lot of SuperStar stuff without issue but I've heard mixed reports on the build quality of their pre-built wheelsets.

If it was my money I'd be looking at Hope Hoops or a custom built set from Merlin or CRC.

Unless you want to save even more - I have a 2010 Specialized SX Trail wheelset (Red DT Swiss F550 rims/Specialized Hi Lo hubs) currently up for sale ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The crossrides are an xc wheelset, however I do the odd jump with them on my trance and usually land badly plus I weigh around 90kg and have had no issues.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Superstars hubs can be a bit weak. The freehub bodies crack easily. I have cracked a few and I know others who have. Superstar always replace the freehub and axle together under warranty without any troubles but it's still inconvenient.
  • njee20
    Another reason to go for Hope then!
  • lawman wrote:
    What's you budge for new wheels? Superstar hubs with Stan's crest or Arch EX rims would be my choice.

+1

Depending how hard and/or what/where you ride I'd be very tempted by the £180 Stan's Crest deal from superstar. They're over a £100 saving on Superstars already cheap prices...fantastic price

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=496
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Theres a reason why superstars are so cheap. Ive been through 2 freehubs in as many months. Hope are worth paying the extra for.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hope are not really stronger mind. Seen lots of both fail.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Superstar (novatec) freehubs are particularly weak though and if you have a good look at them you can see why, the body is less than a millimetre thick in the back of the pawl recess which is where they crack. My Nukeproof hubs have been solid.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Who makes Nukeproof hubs?
  • bennyy
    anks for the replys guys, it will most likely be after Xmas now, but gives me some ideas, I will probably go for the mavic xm719 and hope hubs.

They will no doubt be plenty for me, I bought the stumpjumper as a bit of an all rounder, always had hardtails, but starting to do more and more trails and single track type stuff, but needed something that could climb, but also ride it to work nicely. I find myself wanting to always go and do bigger trails, so would probably look into a more am type bike, saying that the stumpy is a decent bike and would probably do just as well on the rough stuff.

IMAG0848_1.jpg

IMAG0851_1.jpg

IMAG0852_1.jpg
  • njee20
    I think going to Mavic rims of any ilk would be a mistake frankly, IMO Stan's are stronger and lighter. They're more expensive, but if you go for Hope Hoops that's irrelevant.
  • lawman
    What Njee said ^^^^^ I'd never go back to mavic rims, Stan's all the way.
  • I would go with Stans rims as well, probably Arch EX on Hope hubs.
  • njee20
    I'd get Crests.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Stans use a softer aluminium than Mavic. They may be lighter but the certainly aren't as strong and they dent too easily.
    I tried Flows because they were cheap but destroyed them in no time and went back to Mavic EX721s. I found the flows dented far too easily and I finished them off by putting a massive flat spot in the rear.
    Their only advantage is that they are good tubeless.
  • I'd avoid Hope hubs myself, as i've personally seen more die than the superstars. cracked flanges for the spokes on fronts and back wheels.

Plus the pick up on the freewheel is a fair old few degrees with hope while superstars pick up faster, its a small thing but feels nice.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'd avoid Hope hubs myself, as i've personally seen more die than the superstars. cracked flanges for the spokes on fronts and back wheels.

Plus the pick up on the freewheel is a fair old few degrees with hope while superstars pick up faster, its a small thing but feels nice.

Is that not just because there are way more Hope hubs in the wild than SuperStar?

I'd bet Hope's failure rate is proportionally far less than SuperStar/Novatech.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    I'd avoid Hope hubs myself, as i've personally seen more die than the superstars. cracked flanges for the spokes on fronts and back wheels.

Is that not just because there are way more Hope hubs in the wild than SuperStar?

I'd bet Hope's failure rate is proportionally far less than SuperStar/Novatech.

I think you have a very valid point there.

Hopes backup is good from what I have seen if you do crack a hub.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Hope hubs have been improved now with more pick ups on the latest ones. Quieter as well.
    It was always the noise that put me off Hope but I would definitely buy a pair now that they are less offensive.
  • lawman
    I love how loud the pro2 is, makes it clear to anyone holding me up on the trails I want to get by when I'm coasting along behind them. :lol:

I've run crests on my Mojo HD for nearly 3 years and they've been faultless. I've ridden them all over the Uk for Xc, trail centres, DH runs the lot and other than a few scratches a single ding from a massive rock hit at Antur last weekend they've not missed a beat. Imo Stan's make the best rims out there atm, and the sooner they do a carbon version of the Arch EX the better!
  • njee20
    Stans use a softer aluminium than Mavic. They may be lighter but the certainly aren't as strong and they dent too easily.

I dented my XC717s far more than any of the Stan's rims I've had, including Podiums, which are about 2/3 the weight! The shorter sidewall height helps IMO. But hey, if you want to pass your opinions off as fact then you go right ahead!
  • rockmonkeysc
    The XC717 is not a great rim. Its very narrow.
    I found the Flows to be very soft.
    Last time I had a set of wheels built the mechanic who built them suggested only Mavic or Spank rims for AM & DH unless I could afford carbon.
    I have seen more Stans rims destroyed than anything else in the last year, even the Flow EX don't seem to cope with harder riding.
  • The XC717 is not a great rim. Its very narrow.
    I found the Flows to be very soft.
    Last time I had a set of wheels built the mechanic who built them suggested only Mavic or Spank rims for AM & DH unless I could afford carbon.
    I have seen more Stans rims destroyed than anything else in the last year, even the Flow EX don't seem to cope with harder riding.

Don't the Athertons ride on none stickered stans rims?