Losing travel on fork when pumping negative air

arigold
arigold Posts: 175
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a 2012 RLT Revelation Rockshox forks and I seem to be losing travel when I pump negative air in.

To start with positive air is at 95psi and negative is empty. However soon as I start pumping negative air in the travel goes from 150mm to around 100mm!!!!!

What am I doing wrong? Fork is only 11 months old

Cheers

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    IIRC, general consensus is that running a lot of negative air will reduce your travel.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's what negative air does... you shouldn't be losing that amount though unless you're putting tonnes of air in - how much are you putting in, and how much does the setup advise as a starting point?
  • Negative sucks the fork down , rockshox recommend a 15 psi maximum difference between pos and neg . Deflate both chambers then inflate pos first followed by neg . Start point is equal pressure in both to get reccommended sag .

Negative chamber is a lot smaller than positive a couple of pump strokes makes a big difference.
  • arigold
    According to the guide on the actual fork:

for 73kg (my weight) 90-100psi on positive and negative.

I took out all the air on both. Pumped positive to 95psi. Soon as I get to 50psi on negative I can see the travel getting smaller and smaller!
  • Do it the other way round, then you'll get more travel.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Huh?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arigold
    Do it the other way round, then you'll get more travel.

haha! unfortunately what ever order I pump negative air the travel is sucked in :cry:
  • Not often there's a whoosh by CD.
  • cooldad
    Not often there's a whoosh by CD.
    Having read other posts by you, I assumed you were serious.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ignore the factory set up advice it is way off . One way I have read about for setting sag is to empty both chambers inflate positive to get sag of around 30% then with you on bike get an assistant to slowly inflate neg chamber until fork just starts to drop it's travel . The actual pressure required to to achieve this could be way off recommended it certainly is on my dual air sid .
  • cooldad
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Ignore the factory set up advice it is way off . One way I have read about for setting sag is to empty both chambers inflate positive to get sag of around 30% then with you on bike get an assistant to slowly inflate neg chamber until fork just starts to drop it's travel . The actual pressure required to to achieve this could be way off recommended it certainly is on my dual air sid .

This is exactly how I set my SID's as well, the recommended pressures were too high for me.
  • arigold
    I will give it a try, cheers guys
  • arigold
    Sent it to MerlinCycles, who sent it to stram and got it back fixed

...all in 10 days