Squared off tyres

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2013 in Road general
Is a tyre buggered if it starts to square off?
Not sure of age/milage but should I stop using it?

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Iv'e ran tyres down to the threads starting to show through without having an increase in punctures (Rubino Pros).
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, they (or at least one) has a nasty cut/s.
    No puncture issues but have just got some GP4000's due to cuts.
    Was wondering wether to put on now or keep until spring.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The 4000's are race tyres so don't expect them to be durable and resistant to cutting up. I often use the 4000S tyres which are pretty similar: bags of grip and fast tyres but they will cut up and don't last forever. If you are thinking of a winter training tyre then I would advise to look elsewhere (Ultremo DD, Gatorskins or 4seasons, etc.).

When it comes to squaring off, it usually means there is not too much rubber on the main contact point so punctures may not be too far away, but it does come down to the roads ridden (debris, etc.) and just how worn the tyres are.
  • Anonymous
    Its Ultremo DD's that are worn lol. Maybe they have had a hard life.
    Its for the wife's bike. I stuck my old DD's on temporarily and now have some cheapish 4000 S's.
    She will not be racing, but equally not training out in cr*p weather so wanted her to have some decent tyres.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    So you want your wife to have decent tyres for winter, you've bought some, but you're asking if you should put them on?
  • Anonymous
    It was just a general question about squared off looking tyres.
    They are coming off wife's bike anyway although not sure which tyres/wheels I will put on.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I ride 'em down to the canvas.
  • People drive car tyres down to the wire but it doesn't mean you should!
    Squared of tyres should go in the bin. Or on the shelf in case one you are riding gets really badly cut up and you need something to whack on for the few days it may take to get a replacement.
    Even if you accept all the tosh about it being ok, the handling characteristics and grip will be seriously affected in any leaning if you are running a decent pressure.
    Its your life, but on wet leaf littered and sometimes frozen roads I make sure my tyres are perfect.
  • schweiz wrote:

i tend to do that too but i got 3 kids too feed lol.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    You don't need to change your tyres if they are squared off. Might be a performance loss though.

I use Bontrager Hardcases until the rubber comes of the carcase. The grip is affected but they still don't puncture. My Veloflex tyres are the most astounding. Zero cuts on either tire in over 1000 miles and they are a full race tyre. Not much wear either.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

i tend to do that too but i got 3 kids too feed lol.

I've got a cycling habit to feed! I've only had one puncture that was possibly due to the tyre being worn thin although once I bust a tube after I wore the canvas away too!! I ended up having to boot the tyre with a scrap of plastic found at the side of the road! IME squared off/worn tyre on a road bike doesn't affect handling much if at all. Definitely nothing like a squared off rear motorbike tyre which is unpredictable to say the least!