Brake Drop?

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi all

Looking at getting some better brakes than the own brand on the bike and have a question about the drop. The spec on my bike says the brakes are 47 - 57mm drop. I've been looking at 105 brakes that say they are 49mm drop. Will they be ok?

Cheers

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    No - you need some Shimano R450 (equivalent to Tiagra / 105) or R650s (Ultegra) is sticking with Shimano
  • Oh right. I did see those advertised as 57mm drop and wasn't sure if it was too much.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I have a set of R450 brakes in v good condition if you want to buy them.
  • Wirral_paul
    You will very likely need the extra clearance to allow the brake blocks to contact the rim. It is very likely that the standard 105 brakes would touch the tyres with the blocks set at maximum reach of 49mm - and this can cause a blowout (and crash). Better to stay with a correctly spec'd part imho - especially as you dont have any yet.

The R450's differ pretty much wholly on the finish rather than construction. I'd go for the Shimano brakes myself but vanity may not let me fit them on my Campag equipped new bike. Does anyone know if the name can be rubbed off the black version? hehe :lol:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    You will very likely need the extra clearance to allow the brake blocks to contact the rim. It is very likely that the standard 105 brakes would touch the tyres with the blocks set at maximum reach of 49mm - and this can cause a blowout (and crash). Better to stay with a correctly spec'd part imho - especially as you dont have any yet.

The R450's differ pretty much wholly on the finish rather than construction. I'd go for the Shimano brakes myself but vanity may not let me fit them on my Campag equipped new bike. Does anyone know if the name can be rubbed off the black version? hehe :lol:
    I had the same dilemma about using Shimano on a Campag bike so ended up picking up the Miche long drop brakes which are fine. Hence me having a set of shimano brakes knocking about waiting to be sold. The R450s appear to be decent brakes and can't see the point in paying double for the 650s
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    R450s are very good brakes once you get rid of the stock pads, the 650s are identical but have a polished finish instead of painted and better pads. Tektro also do some long drop brakes but I forget the model - just STW
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Miche Performce are as good as R650 if you change the pads, cheap too. Tektro 737 are pretty good but the R359 is the cheaper model. The R737 is not compatible with mudguard given it's design which is a bit crap. I do not sell many of these as a consequence.

Other than that there is the ambrosio long drop. Do not get confused with the Tektro R369 or R556/559 as those brakes are 55mm-73mm drop. I know all of this as I stock all long drop brakes or varying drop!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Wirral_paul
    Does anyone know if the name can be rubbed off the black version? hehe :lol:

To answer my own question - apparently acetone will take off the Shimano logos off!! Anyone tried this to confirm?
  • Miche Performce are as good as R650 if you change the pads, cheap too. Tektro 737 are pretty good but the R359 is the cheaper model. The R737 is not compatible with mudguard given it's design which is a bit crap. I do not sell many of these as a consequence.

Other than that there is the ambrosio long drop. Do not get confused with the Tektro R369 or R556/559 as those brakes are 55mm-73mm drop. I know all of this as I stock all long drop brakes or varying drop!

Thanks for the info. It's a shame I moved as I used to live in Sudbury just down the road from you. Never knew you were there tbh.

If you say you stock all long drops, I might pop in next time I'm visiting family.
  • Does anyone know if the name can be rubbed off the black version? hehe :lol:

To answer my own question - apparently acetone will take off the Shimano logos off!! Anyone tried this to confirm?

Up to a point, I tried and found the black started to come off too, stopped when I got to this

10858907936_85d9d89064.jpg

The flash has picked it out but its much less obvious in daylight
  • Wirral_paul
    Thanks for the info - thats a surprise as i would have thought anodising would be unaffected!! :(