pinno Posts: 52,135
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Your two pence worth?

Ta.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been using KMC-SL chains on my Campagnolo drivetrains for years - the titanium nitride finish is pretty durable
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I use both KMC and campag chains. They are both equally good.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pinno

I've always used campag but the KMC chains have those handy quick links and although I have managed so far without the dogs bollox very expensive link inserter, KMC would give me the option.

Cheers Monty.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975

I've always used campag but the KMC chains have those handy quick links and although I have managed so far without the dogs bollox very expensive link inserter, KMC would give me the option.

Cheers Monty.

You can still use a KMC quick (MIssing) link with the Campag chain.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I use KMC (11 speed)
  • pinno
    Dabber wrote:

Cheers Monty.

You can still use a KMC quick (MIssing) link with the Campag chain.

The solution. Ta
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    My 2 pence worth?

It's a chain. Don't over think it. :wink:
  • KMC make the best chains out of any brand, I'd always choose one over anything by shimano, sram or campy
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    lewiskinch wrote:
    KMC make the best chains out of any brand, I'd always choose one over anything by shimano, sram or campy

In your opinion maybe, it doesn't make it fact though. KMC for example are my last choice based on my experience of failures. Each to their own though isn't it.

KMC do seem to make great missing links though :)
  • I've tried both, but now use Campag chains with KMC links in both 10 and 11 speed.
    The shifting seems - marginally - sharper with the dedicated Campag chain.
  • Whichever is cheaper at the moment. I do stick with Campagnolo chains though.
    The only reason to buy KMC is the quick link that does away with the need for a special peening chain tool.
    Now that I am on 11-sp, I have purchased a new chain tool for riveting the 11-sp chains, hopefully it will last many years. I also bought 3 quick-links (11sp quick links are non-reusable) just in case. I carry a quick link in the toolbag although I've never broken a chain on a road bike.
    By the way, the Rohloff chaintool (which I bought) is expensive but works on all chains, including Campagnolo 11sp.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Whichever is cheaper at the moment. I do stick with Campagnolo chains though.
    The only reason to buy KMC is the quick link that does away with the need for a special peening chain tool.
    Now that I am on 11-sp, I have purchased a new chain tool for riveting the 11-sp chains, hopefully it will last many years. I also bought 3 quick-links (11sp quick links are non-reusable) just in case. I carry a quick link in the toolbag although I've never broken a chain on a road bike.
    By the way, the Rohloff chaintool (which I bought) is expensive but works on all chains, including Campagnolo 11sp.

I have to say that before quick links came along I never did have a whole lot of faith in my ability to put chains back together. Only really had one problem, that I remember, but for whatever reason I was never quite sure that I had gotten it "right on the money".
  • On 11s "Compact" chainset systems we do see a higher incidence of something that looks like "chainsuck" with KMC chain over Campagnolo.

The reason for this is that on short (ie 405 - 410 mm) rear triangle bikes, the chain runs very close to, if not actually touching, the back of the big chainring when on the inner ring and the top sprocket (and occasionally next-to-top, too).

Campagnolo chains are more heavily bevelled on the outsides of the outer links than KMC and so don't get "snagged" so easily on the bottom run of chain by the lift pins on the back of the big chainring.

Also, as is always the case, Campagnolo, like Shimano and SRAM engineer their chains and chainrings to work together - and as precision and customer expectations about shifting have changed, so it has become more and more desirable to run complete systems as just that - complete systems.

The KMC quick-links are convenient but it is worth saying that the Campag 11s chain joining tool, whilst expensive, does remove all of the guesswork out of fitting a Campag 11s chain, in terms of knowing that pin placement is correct, because the system ensures not only that the pin is inserted the correct distance but the act of peening it over further secures it - provided the instructions for removal and refitting of the pin are followed exactly.

If it is a consideration for you, for the full warranty to apply on any transmission part, a Campag chain must be used & it must be correctly fitted (i.e. by the correct method and using the correct tools) - and yes, Campagnolo *can* tell ...

Regards all
    Graeme
    Velotech Cycling Ltd
    Main UK Campagnolo Service Centre
    http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    A really good reason not to have a Campagnolo drivetrain.
  • pinno
    gfk_velo wrote:
    On 11s "Compact" chainset systems we do see a higher incidence of something that looks like "chainsuck" with KMC chain over Campagnolo...

The KMC quick-links are tell ...

Regards all
    Graeme
    Velotech Cycling Ltd
    Main UK Campagnolo Service Centre
    http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk

Thanks for that. I have a campag chain on my 11 speed set up. I also have a campag 10 speed chain on my other bike. The KMC chain that I have purchased will be matched to a 10 speed set up. I have DA wheels and an Ambrosio cassette to run the campag transmission. I have had no problems with it.
    Considering that 70% of what I buy is second hand, warranties are something that I do not consider. Campag I have found, is extremely reliable but when it comes to compatibility, the 3 top manufacturers hold us to ransom. Whilst I love campag, I resent the lack if interchangeability. Bottom Bracket, freehubs and all that jazz included.
    You can tell those ingenious chaps in Italy that some of us ain't happy:
    1. Compatibility. Also chainring bolts - nightmare to get hold of sometimes with no set pattern, i.e Recessed, non-recessed etc etc.
    2. Price - for sundries like chains, brake blocks, chainring bolts, chainrings, brake cable adjusting screws, ergo cables...
    3. Why did they go changing all the freehubs? Why didn't campag stick to a single pattern like Shimano?
    4. Why don't campag offer single cassette sprockets and we can choose gear ratios instead of the 3 and 2 cogs riveted together at the top end?
    5. Why can't you make a freewheel that will fit Shimano freehubs?
    6. Why can't campag ensure that their suppliers have the stuff that is listed in the Campag Pdf files that are very useful, I might add, but not always available?

Yours
    Fan of Campag but not fan of commercial non-generic monopolisation.