dempsey1
dempsey1 Posts: 320
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
How to avoid them

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Why bother?
    If you cant or don't want to pay full for genuine, get something else.

If a stone hits the lens or you have an off, whats to say they wont shatter in your eye!
    Replica jerseys i can understand, but fake glasses? don't get it.

Bolle do some great glasses on eBay for no money at all and you know they will take a beating.
    I'm sure someone on here can recommend some decent glasses for the cost of the knock offs

Matt
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I dont rate the radarlocks. I think the M frames or Radars are much better.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If money is tight and you want some guaranteed eye protection just get some Bolles.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Eyewear Outlet, kosher shades and good prices, have bought Oakley's from them. If they are too expensive as iPete says go Bolle. :)
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I got a pair from one of the generic chinese ebay sellers - wasnt actually after knock-offs and they weren't advertised as such, before the abuse starts! Only found out when they arrived with the logos on.

The frames are surprisingly decent, much less flimsy than my friend's Bolle sunnies, and came with 5 sets of different coloured lenses. On the downside, the lenses are definitely not polarized, so I still get reflected glare from the road after it's been raining. Also, the shape of the lenses isn't great around the nose bridge. I find them a bit narrow, so they rest on the side of my nose. It's not uncomfortable and have ridden 5+ hours with them on, it's just a bit odd at first. Might also be down to the shape of my nose!

So not brilliant on the whole, but not too bad either. Certainly don't begrudge the £6.50 they cost me, but would rather they hadn't put the logo on and tried to make them out to be something they're clearly not!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I've bought a couple of sets - Radar Locks and Jawbones. They look great and were cheap, but I've come to the conclusion that they're not worth it - even at those prices. The Jawbones are a very poor copy with a poor fit and the Radars snapped on the nose bridge after a few months. The cases are nice though.
  • Agree with Matt-h. What about UV protection as well? Surely it's better to have that on some cheaper "lesser brand" glasses.
  • The shatter resistance and UV protection thing has been done to death in other similar posts. In summary, it's not as big a problem as people think it could be. However, if you're that bothered, there's anecdotal evidence to suggest that using knock-off frames with authentic lenses is a good solution.
  • JoeNobody wrote:
    However, if you're that bothered, there's anecdotal evidence to suggest that using knock-off frames with authentic lenses is a good solution.

And if the frames shatter?
  • And if the frames shatter?
    Good question. Not seen any mention of that happening, just a couple of mentions of frames snapping, so perhaps also not as big a problem as people think it could be?
  • I've got a pair (just the radar) and have been really impressed with them. Not had any issues at all. As for uv protection, well can't be any worse than being outside without sunglasses on. I only use the clear, smoke and iridium lenses. My eyes haven't burned out of my head yet..

Always meant to put proper lenses in but never got round to it. If you're in a situation where you're going to shatter the frames then that's probably going to be the least of your worries!
  • I've got a pair (just the radar) and have been really impressed with them. Not had any issues at all. As for uv protection, well can't be any worse than being outside without sunglasses on. I only use the clear, smoke and iridium lenses. My eyes haven't burned out of my head yet..

Always meant to put proper lenses in but never got round to it. If you're in a situation where you're going to shatter the frames then that's probably going to be the least of your worries!

You say that, but it can actually be significantly worse!

This was covered in one of the previous choakley threads, and is something that stuck with me.

Essentially (and I stand to be corrected here), the way I understand it is:

Your eyes have their own form of UV protection in pupil contraction.

When you're wearing sunnies, your pupils are dilated more than they would be without glasses due to the tint. If the lenses are letting in UV whilst blocking out some of the glare you end up letting in more UV than you would without glasses, so it's worse for you than just doing without and squinting (until you ride off a cliff).

I should however point out that I'm not convinced one way or the other regarding UV protection on choakleys. Polycarbonate isn't tremendously expensive to work with, and it's pretty much entirely UV blocking without needing any special coatings or treatment. I don't personally believe it's too much of a leap of faith to assume the lenses (whilst possibly not Oakley standard) are polycarbonate. Bolle manage to push them out for under a tenner after all.