Crank Brothers Kronolog Dropper

neilrosser
neilrosser Posts: 236
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Anyone got any opinions on this dropper post. Can't justify the cost of a reverb, Is this the next best one or is there another?
Trek Fuel EX8

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Kronologs are just as expensive as Reverbs. Reverbs can be had for around £200 or less if you shop around are in a different league to the Kronolog. My Joplin was useless and every review I see of the Kronolog goes on about the poor sealing, the shaft wearing out and cable tension having to be perfect for it to actually work and not not make it implode. Spend the extra and get a reverb, its a far superior product.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    It has to be said, Reverb's are far from perfect too. For example, mine has done less than 10 easy road miles, doesn't even have a single indication of it being used, yet still leaks all the air out when the bike is doing nothing. Badly fitted seals at the factory appears to be the common issue.

I think you'll find issues with all brands though, RockShox, KS, Thomson, Fox, Crank Bros... I just don't think the tech is quite here yet.

Removing price as a factor, I guess it comes down to how good they are in use vs how much you're prepared to put up with the relaibility issues.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Mine still going strong after 6 months use, mainly weekly mabie rides ( off piste/ red)
    I must use it about twenty times a ride for short sharp climbs/ descents, no problems so far!!
    I think the set up is critical ( bikeshop set it up ) , also got a 2 year warranty, so what's not to like !!!
    Kona Blast deluxe 08
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    CitizenLee wrote:
    It has to be said, Reverb's are far from perfect too. For example, mine has done less than 10 easy road miles, doesn't even have a single indication of it being used, yet still leaks all the air out when the bike is doing nothing. Badly fitted seals at the factory appears to be the common issue.

I think you'll find issues with all brands though, RockShox, KS, Thomson, Fox, Crank Bros... I just don't think the tech is quite here yet.

Removing price as a factor, I guess it comes down to how good they are in use vs how much you're prepared to put up with the relaibility issues.

They can have issues but so did suspension forks when they came out :wink: droppers seem to develop issues after a year or so from experience and others I've seen, by which time they'll still be covered under warranty most likely. Outside the warranty period I think just forks and shocks they should be serviced every year, you wouldn't (or rather shouldn't) leave your forks for 18 months without a service and I think droppers should be no different if you want to keep them running smoothly.