Help with headset 'bolt' (not topcap!)

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Can anyone help me find a replacement headset bolt from a Specialized Langster Pro?

What has happened is that the top cap bolt was tightened too far and snapped off leaving half the top cap bolt in the the thick bolt that runs through the headset into the forks.

The bolt is around 35mm long and is hollow, but I would assume is threaded at the top to accept the top cap bolt.

There is a thread running the length of this bolt.

The bolt itself if about 8.5mm wide.

Does anyone know what this is and where I get a new one, by the weekend!!!

Cheers

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    is it possible to cut a slot or use a punch in the remaining cap bolt thread and unscrew it using a screwdriver, carefully tapping it round anti clockwise. Or drill it off centre, carefully, then use a punch and hammer to rotate it. (Normal way to remove snapped off engine studs)

Or is it not accessible?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mickisup
    Unfortunately not as it snapped so far down that I can't easily get to it. What's even more frustrating is that I can't find the exact name of the part, is a fork bolt or headset bolt, can't seem to find a name for it anywhere!
  • mickisup
    I believe that it's the bolt that runs through the carbon fork expander that I need to replace, does anyone have any idea if they are sold as separate items or whether the bolt size is pretty standard?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There are a multitude of different expander types - without removing it, impossible to determine what make/type you have. Suggest you use a thread extractor to unscrew the remnants on the bung/expander bolt and simply replace the whole expander
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..