Help with Castelli Gabba Sizing.

designman
designman Posts: 405
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking at buying myself the Castelli Gabba Windstopper Rain Jersey Short Sleeve version, but need help in the sizing if possible please, I am 5' 11", 32 inch waist, 37 inch chest.
Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I am 5' 9", 33 inch waist, 39 inch chest and I have a large, think you wold be a large also.
  • To throw you off with sizing im 6"3 roughly, 32-33inch waist, 38-40" chest and im also in a large. Its pretty stretchy, id go medium for a nice tight fit, can always send back if too tight
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    hmmmm.....makes me even more sure I got one thats too big. I'm 6'0 and 32 waist and went for an XL as all my Castelli stuff - jackets and shorts etc - are XL. Its a tad loose around the arms but the arms arent that long so probably worth trying a L. Cant see a M being long enough in body or arms frankly.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    6'0 32" waist. 38" chest. I've got a large - I'd not go any smaller than that.
  • Thanks for the replies, I shall order a large.
    Forgot to mention, will I be able to wear a base layer under the jersey?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Do Wiggle sell them?
    If they do, just order a couple of sizes and find out which one you want and then send them both back, then buy the top from somewhere cheaper.
  • Medium
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Medium. I am a 40" chest and 32" waist. I have a Large and at times it's a bit long in the body. The constraining factor for me in the arms, as my arms are large apparently. It is has more space than the Aero 4.0 jersey that I use during the summer and I have that in a large as well.

FWIW, I have some older Castelli gear and I swear that is tighter in the same size than newer stuff.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • 1.75m, = 5'8 ish, and 63kg, I got a Small, and it fits well.
  • cougie
    I wear a base under mine. I wear a base under all tops - even in the South of France. The pros wear theirs over their race kit - thats what its designed for.
  • Thanks for the replies guys, certainly some mixed reactions as to what size I should be buying, shame I don't have a LBS which stocks this jersey then I could try before buying online.
    Maybe i'll have to take pot luck and order a medium and see if that fits, if not I can always send it back for a larger size.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    designman wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys, certainly some mixed reactions as to what size I should be buying, shame I don't have a LBS which stocks this jersey then I could try before buying online.
    Maybe i'll have to take pot luck and order a medium and see if that fits, if not I can always send it back for a larger size.

They stock them at Wiggle and the returns are free, if I was shelling out £150 on a jersey I'd use Wiggle to get the right size and like I said earlier, return both sizes and purchase elsewhere.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I would suggest not taking the advice to use Wiggle's free returns just to try on and then buy somewhere else. If deciding on large and too bi,g then send it back to where ever you get it from to exchange for a medium. Not all stores have free returns but it'll only cost a couple of quid to do so, and you haven't abused the free returns policy Wiggle offer. It could end up being stopped if people abuse it, plus it's bad karma anyway.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Bozman wrote:
    designman wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys, certainly some mixed reactions as to what size I should be buying, shame I don't have a LBS which stocks this jersey then I could try before buying online.

They stock them at Wiggle and the returns are free, if I was shelling out £150 on a jersey I'd use Wiggle to get the right size and like I said earlier, return both sizes and purchase elsewhere.

Naughty.
  • Thanks for the advice guys - A quick question, is the Gabba Jersey a tight fit jersey?
    I'm thinking about going for the large size but have skinny arms which I shall have covered with the castelli nano flex arm warmers.
  • cougie
    The gabba is a race jersey. It was designed to go over your race kit in foul weather. Its tight fitting as you dont want the wind resistance. It is stretchy though and the short sleeve versions arms are fairly long so theres plenty of overlap with the armwarmers.

Unless you run hot though - I don't think its a jersey to be buying for Winter. More Spring or Autumn. The pros use it when they're racing - so a lot of heat being generated.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    designman wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys - A quick question, is the Gabba Jersey a tight fit jersey?
    I'm thinking about going for the large size but have skinny arms which I shall have covered with the castelli nano flex arm warmers.

I don't own one so don't have direct experience of sizing but as suggested above and from what I've read, the Gabba seems to be more generous than other Castelli jerseys/jackets. I'm sure I read somewhere that somebody bought xxl as they normally would for Castelli but returned for xl, so maybe go for the smaller option if between sizes.
  • I'd go large. I'm a similar build to you about 5:9 in height and I have a short sleeve version.
    Fit is fitted but comfortably takes a base layer or long sleeve top underneath.
    I was out last night with a long sleeve thorm top with nanoflex arm warmers underneath and it was warm enough at 4 degrees, but when it gets really cold I think you would need something else, but it will cover a quite large range of temperatures.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Just got my ss Gabba. I'm 5'8" 69kg, slim and I got a large. It is a snug but perfect fit.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Stevo C
    Stevo C Posts: 132
    Have a look here - seems there's some odd sizing going on

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12942156

'm 6'0" and 80 kg and the L fitted much better than the XL - not what I was expecting!
    cheers

Steve
  • cougie
    You're only a couple of kilos heavier than me and I have a Large - so that's not unexpected to me ?

They are stretchy anyway.
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    I'm 5'11'', 32" waist and 39" chest so very similar to OP. I got XL LS version. I probably would have been fine with an L if it was SS but I have long arms and I think the arms on the L wouldn't have been long enough. The fit is close enough for me, not race snug but that's fine as with a layer or two underneath it will do me through the winter.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    MrSweary wrote:
    Just got my ss Gabba. I'm 5'8" 69kg, slim and I got a large. It is a snug but perfect fit.

That's odd cos I'm about the same size as you but have a small Gabba and the fit is perfect. I could see that a medium might be ok but definitely not a large.
    More problems but still living....
  • Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I ordered a Large today from wiggle, taking into account everyones posts who have similar reference in size to me. I hope to layer it up with a base layer and maybe a jersey.
    Thanks again.
  • blaf
    blaf Posts: 7
    Guys,

I want to buy Gabba and I'm not sure about the size. I'm 189cm tall, 95cm chest, 88cm waist. Don't want too much flappy but want to use base layer under it. What size to buy? Will Large be ok?