Photocromatic Lenses for Cycling

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at a new set of Oakleys for Christmas and liked the radarlock path with the Photocromatic lenses as they would hopefully be good in all light conditions?
Does anyone use them? Are they okay in dark overcast british winter days? What about in the brightest Euro summer days in the mountains are they going to be dark enough?

Thanks

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Most versatile is the Grey transitions (may only be available prescripton) that goes 16-96% light transmission. I have a pair of clear/black iridium that go 10-66% and a lighter pair. Yes they are good but depends how much low level light you ride in. They don't change instantly and yes they should be good in Europe as long as you get that low transmission figure. However, going down a mountain then into a forest means you will get caught out and may have to take them off
    M.Rushton
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I've been using them for a year or two and love them, I never feel the need to wear anything else. I'm talking about the "clear black iridium" ones that are effectively completely clear in low light / indoors.

They probably don't go quite as dark as a darkish dedicated lens such as emerald or red iridium (and obviously not as dark as the black iridium), but they are perfectly dark enough for bright days in northern Europe. I have always favoured medium-dark lenses for bright days in any case - you just need them to block enough light so that you are not squinting in bright conditions, but you don't want them so dark that you can't see properly whenever you go under some trees or into the shade of a building. A lot of people make the mistake with sunglasses of thinking they need a lens dark enough to block direct light, e.g. glare from low sun in the evenings, but the truth is that any lens that is dark enough to do that will make it impossible to see properly the rest of the time.

They are certainly fine for overcast days and even dusk, as they go almost completely clear.

Maybe they would not be quite dark enough for the tropics or southern med., or for the mountains when there are reflections from snow, but I am not fortunate enough to be riding a lot in such conditions.. ;-)

I also had the other Oakley photochromic lenses at one point, the ones that have a slight orange/brownish tint for enhanced contrast - I much prefer the clear black iridium. Personally I don't like any lenses with a non-neutral tint for wearing all of the time when cycling, after a while the constant colour cast becomes annoying (even if it seems good at first).
  • glasgowbhoy
    cheers thanks guys, the clear black iridium seem the best bet then for all round use.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I had quite a chat with the company I bought my Oakleys from, never previously having owned a pair I was a bit anxious about making the wrong call. I ended up with the emerald transitions which I use all year round day and night. They are fantastic. The only place they fall down a bit is when off roading through forests when there can be extremes of light levels - none of the transitions are capable of reacting as quickly to light change as the human eye can, so its not actually a defect, just something you need to remain conscious about!

Peter
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I have heard the Rudy Projects are very good.

I have Salice 006, dark lens for summer, clear lens for winter.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    I use Rudy Project photo clear lenses while riding at night and they are like having a normal clear lens, I highly recommend them. But then I use RX inserts so I am limited to what I can use anyway!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Love my photochromic Oakleys (black iridium). Its so nice not having to decide which lens to put in.
    They seem to go pretty dark. I have quite sensitive eyes and not had any problems when the sun has come out.
  • +1 for Rudy project rydons impact awesome bit of kit. Not as bulky on your face as Oakleys. Had mine a couple of seasons with faultless results, you don't even know your wearing them
  • +1 for clear black iridium -- only lens I use now as it works in almost any condition.
  • Photochromatic on Oakley works for me on radars and jawbones :) all good here.
  • glasgowbhoy
    Thanks guys,

I went for the clear/ black iridium Radarlock path on Red/Black frames.

Will let you know how I get on with them
  • glasgowbhoy
    First ride out on a fairly low light grey Nov day in Central Scotland. The fit and peripheral vision from the radar lock is far better than the Jawbones i've been using. After 10 mins I forgot I was wearing glasses, unlike the Jawbones where it felt like I was cycling with goggles on.
    I think the photocromatic lenses are perfect for the majority of the light conditions in Scotland although still to test them in bright sunlight...... that may be a while though !
  • meursault wrote:

I use a pair of these also, great looking glasses but prone to steaming up in damp/cool conditions. Apparently the new versions have more ventilation.
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:

I use a pair of these also, great looking glasses but prone to steaming up in damp/cool conditions. Apparently the new versions have more ventilation.

I have had mine since start of summer, no problem with misting during rides in various conditions. Only steam up a bit when stopped and look down!

Voltaire
  • A bit like 11 speed drivetrains, electronic gears and carbon rims... expensive and largely un-necessary. I use yellow lenses summer and winter and they work very well in all light conditions. The same pair of 10 Euro glasses I bought at Decathlon in France in 2010 is still going strong!
    left the forum March 2023
  • glasgowbhoy
    A bit like 11 speed drivetrains, electronic gears and carbon rims... expensive and largely un-necessary. I use yellow lenses summer and winter and they work very well in all light conditions. The same pair of 10 Euro glasses I bought at Decathlon in France in 2010 is still going strong!

Probably, but I sold a set of Jawbones, so, the outlay wasn't that much at all. A good bit more than your 10 Euro jobs but I do like the oakley lenses and the radars are great for cycling
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    A bit like 11 speed drivetrains, electronic gears and carbon rims... expensive and largely un-necessary. I use yellow lenses summer and winter and they work very well in all light conditions. The same pair of 10 Euro glasses I bought at Decathlon in France in 2010 is still going strong!

Cheap skate, no style :lol:
  • meursault wrote:
    meursault wrote:

I have had mine since start of summer, no problem with misting during rides in various conditions. Only steam up a bit when stopped and look down!

Maybe you've been lucky so far but clearly Salice think there is an issue otherwise they wouldn't have added two additional vents. Maybe you have the latest version.
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Maybe you've been lucky so far but clearly Salice think there is an issue otherwise they wouldn't have added two additional vents. Maybe you have the latest version.

The dark lenses have this vent

SA006-ITA-027-CL-White-ITA-RW-Green.jpg

but the clear lens has this vent

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe9fuD1HXtOTKKgE_yVBZ9jCHSKillciGLSXiQSL2VSRmx0z3S

Neither have given me any fogging problems so far.

Voltaire