Go Go Gadget

lakesluddite
lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
edited November 2013 in Road general
Did anyone see The Gadget Show last night? I couldn't help chuckling at the mixed messages from two bits of the programme.

Firstly we had the Smartphone review - conducted in the back of a Lahndan Cab owned by some over opinionated (is there any other type?) GEEZER who, according to the graphics 'Hates Cyclists'

Nice.

Then after a break, we have Helen Skelton (TDH anyone?) road testing three road steeds up the Honister Pass in t'lakes.

Perhaps we could have had the bike review on the streets of London at the same time as the 'phone review, that would have made it interesting!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Yes I did see it ... although I was doing some ironing so the time wasn't completely wasted ...

I know it's an entertainment show .. but really ... is the best person to try out the motorised trike someone who hasn't ridden a motorbike? They've got nothing to compare it to.

As for HSkelton's review on the roadbikes - I had recorded it so SWMBO could watch - but I just deleted it because it was a pointless review - electronic gears are best for beginners because they're so smooth ... yer right ... missing the point ...

But then, it is aimed at ppl who would be excited to get the latest playstation or xbox ...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    yeah i saw this, hadn't noticed the 'hates cyclists' bit though!

I thought the bike test was terrible to be honest, from what I could work out she must never have ridden a road bike? kept saying they were twitchy, could grasp the concept of the gears (105 i think) and just generally not very knowledgable at all! they were 3 very different bikes so almost impossible to compare the 3, could have done with a new to biking £500ish price bracket or something might have been better.

also - spoiler alert - shocking that they said the most expensive was the best! what are the chances!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Did you notice that she spent the whole time on the drops ... downhill and back up again ...
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Did you notice that she spent the whole time on the drops ... downhill and back up again ...

Because that's how you ride a road bike innit ;).

I've given up watching the Gadget Show; but in any case the most expensive product always wins the tests.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Absolutely pointless test. What was the commuter bike doing on Honister ? Yeah those gears aren't great for mountain passes.

She didnt once complain about the hill or the persisting rain though. She's proper tough. Just let down by crappy producers.
  • If you've paddled down the Amazon then Honister will hold no fear ;)
  • Yeah, saw that. Chris B has posted pretty much my exact thoughts!
    I suppose you can't expect too much from a non-cycling show comparing totally different bikes. Doesn't really help anyone make an informed choice. More likely to scare people off thinking they have to spend getting on for £2k to get a decent bike.
    It would be nice to see a programme that gave us a like for like review of entry level, sub £1k, £1-2K and money-no-object choices, but that won't be the Gadget Show! Even ITV's Cycle Show struggled to devote enough time to giving bike review/comparisons.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    She looked like a small child riding an adult's bike. Surely it would have been a good idea to get a bit of practice beforehand? Or at least spend a bit of time adjusting it to the right size? For someone who cycled to the South Pole she looked very ill at ease riding a bike.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • cougie
    Maybe it was just the gradient that made her look a bit uncomfy. She's MTBd before (i saw that Blue Peter special) so she can ride well.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Having been on the receiving end of their shoddy brand of 'tech journalism' I really don't take anything they say seriously anymore.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Surely they could have found a rider that didn't climb at 8km/h in the drops??!!
  • Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    What a worthless set of reviews. 3 very different bikes, 1 definitely not suited to the job at hand and her reason for liking the second two more than the first was down to either frame size or bike setup.
  • Having been on the receiving end of their shoddy brand of 'tech journalism' I really don't take anything they say seriously anymore.

Do tell ?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Having been on the receiving end of their shoddy brand of 'tech journalism' I really don't take anything they say seriously anymore.

Do tell ?

I'll second that, spill the beans!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • cougie
    It was better in the olden days with Suzy anyway.
  • cougie wrote:

yep, the two chicks now could do with cutting down on the muffins!
  • wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    On the basis that any publicity is good..... These cycling items on non-cycling programmes may just encourage some new people to get out on a bike. That's ok with me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,904
    cougie wrote:

Hey? Rachel Riley and Pollyanna are both slim and attractive! Would post pics as evidence but they are probably better in Bottom Bracket so just Google. Suzi still has cracking legs but something weird happened to her face a few years ago.
  • Pross wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Hey? Rachel Riley and Pollyanna are both slim and attractive! Would post pics as evidence but they are probably better in Bottom Bracket so just Google. Suzi still has cracking legs but something weird happened to her face a few years ago.

Well, yeah, attractive-ish, but I like 'em really slim! I'm guessing they weigh more than I do.....!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,904
    Well in Pollyanna's case there's probably 2 good reasons if she weighs more than you! :shock:
  • Pross wrote:
    Well in Pollyanna's case there's probably 2 good reasons if she weighs more than you! :shock:

Yep, you don't get many of them to the pound.....