Overdrive 2

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Why do Giant feel the need to have a different steerer size to every other manufacturer?
I want to buy a Trance and I can accept that it has a fork I don't like but what I can't accept is that it's a fork that will be impossible to sell on.
With any other bike I could take off the Fox CTD Evo and sell it as new for a couple hundred pounds but how am I supposed to sell a fork which won't fit any other bike?

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's a Pain in the aris. I reckon giant thought it would catch on with other manufacturers, but they haven't bitten (apart from canyon maybe?)
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's enough to put me off buying one. The fork isn't good enough and if I cant sell it then upgrading is going to be too expensive.
    Thats on top of having to buy three sets of 27" tyres (wet, dry, dual ply) and a set of AM wheels for next year's alpine trip. suddenly a £2k bike is going to cost me £3k.
    A nice used 26" bike is getting more appealing.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Simple answer is build your own. Mega TR 275 looks pretty good and you could build a damn nice bike for £2k.

In theory Overdrive 2 shouldn't be an issue, it's the steerer and the upper headset cup & bearing that are different so you could fit them to any bike that will take a tapered steerer if you've got the right upper cup. I agree it's completely stupid though, just another example of Giant trying to do something innovative and failing.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I am tempted by the Mega TR but I would go for the 26". My stock of 26" tyres will keep me going for a few years!
    The problem with the Giant is how do I sell a fork which wont fit any other bike?
  • lawman
    Sell the fork with the upper headset cup and stem? IIRC it's just a standard 44mm OD cup with a different bearing so it will fit most frames to take a tapered fork. Should have no problems mixing headset cups. You might not get the same sort money a standard tapered fork would get, but it's an idea.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's less of an issue for 26" trance owners , but add that to 27.5" and you can understand why a fork wouldn't be that popular second hand
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    With Giant, you never seem to know what they are going to do next.
  • rockmonkeysc
    supersonic wrote:
    With Giant, you never seem to know what they are going to do next.

They make some brilliant bikes and then do stupid things to them.
    My Reign X was ruined by an extremely fragile suspension linkage and mega short stroke shock.
    If the Trance had 26" wheels and a normal fork it would be my perfect bike.
    I think I might see what TF Tuned can do with the forks to make them properly adjustable and fit a good quality damper. If the forks can be fixed then I can consider one. If not then I might go for a Transition Bandit or Nukeproof Mega TR.
  • lawman
    Are you looking at the trance SX? I know push are now doing a high/low speed compression compression adjust mod and a volume adjust system similar to the bottomless tokens found in pikes, only available for 34's though afaik
  • rockmonkeysc
    Possibly the SX but I'm not sure that I really want 160mm forks. It needs to do everything from 100km xc rides to gravity enduro races. I have done an enduro on my Anthem and did reasonanly well so I don't think I need a big travel bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have done a little research this morning. The only wortwhile upgrade on a CTD Evo fork is to fit a FIT cartridge which will cost roughly £300 so I think thats the Trance off my list.
    Mega TR or Transition Bandit I guess.
  • supersonic
    Or sell the fork and fit a pike or rev with new headset top.
  • lawman
    Devinci Troy? Looks pretty good, the geometry looks fantastic!
  • rockmonkeysc
    supersonic wrote:

Who's going to buy a slightly crap fork which is only suitable for a Giant with a daft headset?
    In the US the Trance SX comes with Pikeys, why can't we get that here?
  • supersonic
    People with od2. People who know how to change a headset. It will sell, no doubt about that, and for about the same as normal on eBay.
  • lawman
    supersonic wrote:

Who's going to buy a slightly crap fork which is only suitable for a Giant with a daft headset?

We don't get anything over here! Spesh, Trek and Giant offer hardly any of their top-end bikes in the UK, we won't be getting the Trance SX Advanced, nor the top Remedy 27.5's and hardly any of the S-works bikes...
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Trance SX advanced is available here. My local shop has one on order for another customer.
  • lawman wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

We don't get anything over here! Spesh, Trek and Giant offer hardly any of their top-end bikes in the UK, we won't be getting the Trance SX Advanced, nor the top Remedy 27.5's and hardly any of the S-works bikes...

Shit really they should supply some over here or even still allow them to be ordered on demand. Probably losing out on a bit of profit there. People are obviously going to want the top models so there would be some demand. Not as much as US but still some is better than none.