Which Ti frame?

Stupid-death
Stupid-death Posts: 63
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
So I've got a small inheritance coming and I've decided to build a bike round a Ti frame. I was originally all guns for getting an Enigma Echo, but now looked at Spin's Spitfire mk III and VN Aquilo and can't make up my mind. The total build budget is around £2.5k and was aiming for about 8kg or below. I'm going to run SRAM Apex as that is what I have on my current bike that I'm keeping as my winter bike.

Any body got any opinions on the frames mentioned?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I've got a Burls Ti frame on order at the moment - full custom geometry and spec exactly how you want it. Mine is being built for winter / long distance riding with Campag Athena triple groupset (new from The Cycle Clinic on here), hand built wheels (from Ugo on here), Zipp bars, stem and seatpost, Chris King headset, Columbus Hiver fork. Overall it will come in at around the £2,500 mark
  • I've got the Planet X Ti frame which has proved pretty good so far. It's made by Van Nicholas and is very comfortable. I've put Ultegra 11sp and Deda black fin forks on it. It's not particularly showy but it's gonna be my winter bike.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I would go for the Aquilo as I have seen slightly better reviews for it than the spitfire (although it also gets rave reviews) in terms of handling.

I was going to get the Aquilo myself but saved up more for the Astraeus thinking that if its going to last a long time then the extra money will be worth it in the long run.

good luck whatever you go for.
    Brian B.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    I looked at Enigmas and Van Nics, but for some reason they didn't quite do it for me. Both good brands, and well respected, but not for me. So I went for the Spin MkIII, and love it. Built up with Chorus and Archetypes, it weighs 7.2kg, is comfortable all day long, it looks gorgeous, handles beautifully, and feels alive. Riding it never fails to put a smile on my face.
  • Second that , he will do exactly what you ask (to a point ) so pick a pro team geometry and he will build it to those dimensions. mine is also on order with geo based on the bianchi oltre i had with isp seat post and tapered head tube , also di2 and mech friendly ,what more could you ask for.
    I've got a Burls Ti frame on order at the moment - full custom geometry and spec exactly how you want it. Mine is being built for winter / long distance riding with Campag Athena triple groupset (new from The Cycle Clinic on here), hand built wheels (from Ugo on here), Zipp bars, stem and seatpost, Chris King headset, Columbus Hiver fork. Overall it will come in at around the £2,500 mark
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • You need to check out the link below. Marco Bertoletti is one of the best Ti frame builders in the world.

http://www.legendfactory.eu
    You need to check out the link below. Marco Bertoletti is one of the best Ti frame builders in the world.

A little out of his price range though given that you're looking at between £4,300 and £6,000 for the fitted frame only!! One word though - wow!! 8)
  • i love these legends to ,but well out of my price range , drove past his factory in italy this year but some how resisted a visit ,wife would have killed me. this was the driver to me going Ti.

You need to check out the link below. Marco Bertoletti is one of the best Ti frame builders in the world.

A little out of his price range though given that you're looking at between £4,300 and £6,000 for the fitted frame only!! One word though - wow!! 8)
  • I had the same question as you about 8 months ago and went with a lynskey mainly as it was in my price bracket and enigma and VN did not do it for me.

I had a problem with the frame and rode a Moots for a few weks which was miles ahead of the lynskey in build quality, ride, handling etc but was twice the price. The lynskey had a fault (chain stay was mis aligned where it met the BB) so that went back and have just ordered a custom IF frame. They are pricey but i wish i bit the bullet first time round and got the quality frame I really wanted from day one.

so after all that rambling have a look at Moots and independant fabrication,
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    http://www.vannicholas.com/resources/repository/file/Reviews/CyclingPlus_Aquilo_0212.pdf

I assume you've seen this on the Aquilo, just in case it is of interest
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    edited November 2013
    I had a test ride on a Spin Spitfire and boy did I not like the ride :(

For what it's worth I'd look no further than a Van Nicholas frame.
  • Having ridden the Aquilo & Astreaus the latter is a much more engaging ride. Lively even. Which may not be what you want from a Ti frame.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Hi

I had a similar budget and overall plan. Eventually went with a Kinesis Ti frame, Campag Athena and Zonda Wheelset. Build came in at 7.8kg excluding pedals. Love the bike and the frame gets good reviews

http://road.cc/content/review/45096-kin ... i-frameset

William
  • Rokt wrote:
    I had a test ride on a Spin Spitfire and boy did I not like the ride :(

Which variant of the spitfire, and what did you not like? Too sporty? Too sedate?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Would it have been a MK III ? it had Sram Force, Zipp 202's and FSA carbon stem, bars
    and seat post. The bike looked stunning but I found the ride hard, jittery and not very
    easy to control !!! but it could have been me....
  • Could have been any of them - you can have any combination of groupset/frame you want :-)

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Rokt - interesting. My MkIII is certainly quick steering, and the geometry is quite racy, but it's not harsh or jittery (for me, at least). The natural flex in the frame, and Architypes running 25mm tyres, give it a suppleness that I find very appealing. But then I guess we all have different tastes and preferences.
  • Apologies for jumping on this thread , has anyone tried / got the enigma esprit ? tomisitt gave me a resounding thumbs up for the spitfire , transpired that if it got drilled out for di2 the warranty was invalidated.

Keen to know any real world experiences of the esprit , good or bad as it is potentially the next purchase.

Thanks in advance.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    velohutts wrote:
    Apologies for jumping on this thread , has anyone tried / got the enigma esprit ? tomisitt gave me a resounding thumbs up for the spitfire , transpired that if it got drilled out for di2 the warranty was invalidated.

Keen to know any real world experiences of the esprit , good or bad as it is potentially the next purchase.

Thanks in advance.

MattC59 has an Esprit - he seems to like it. May be worth dropping him a PM....
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    velohutts wrote:
    Apologies for jumping on this thread , has anyone tried / got the enigma esprit ? tomisitt gave me a resounding thumbs up for the spitfire , transpired that if it got drilled out for di2 the warranty was invalidated.

Thanks in advance.

MattC59 has an Esprit - he seems to like it. May be worth dropping him a PM....

Ideal , thanks for that , pm on it's way.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I've got myself an aquilo on order as I couldn't justify the extra money for the astraeus - it'll be plenty good enough for me I'm sure. Previously had a VN Euros, and the aquilo is an upgrade to that by all accounts.
  • limoneboy wrote:
    Second that , he will do exactly what you ask (to a point ) so pick a pro team geometry and he will build it to those dimensions. mine is also on order with geo based on the bianchi oltre i had with isp seat post and tapered head tube , also di2 and mech friendly ,what more could you ask for.

My Burls frame is due early next week , i will post up a picture as soon as it is built up its having easton ec90 forks , fulcrum zero's dark , dura ace 9000 chainset chain and cassette, trp 970sl calipers , ulterga 11 di2 gearset , sella carbo flow saddle ,hope headset , kcnc isp seatpost topper, 3t team stealth stem and easton ec90 slx bars covered in black lizard skin weighed up the components and it should come in just under 7kg , cannot wait :D
  • Justin sent me the photo's of my Burls frame ,don't need to say a lot really ,this is a manual and electric frame hence the holes in the frame . i will post on bikes next week when its built up, very very pleased.

DSCF3962_zps32235db5.jpg
    DSCF3973_zps007f28ec.jpg
    DSCF3960_zps1694109f.jpg
    DSCF3961_zps376c0c14.jpg
    DSCF3959_zps50000e16.jpg
    DSCF3956_zps7c55861c.jpg
  • Looks nice :-)
    Giant Defy 2