first bike - Polygon Helios C7.0 ??

SpiderPoo
SpiderPoo Posts: 7
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All

I am in the market for my first road bike. I already have a flat bar which I ride but I want something more racey and when I am not pushing myself through the wind like a truck. It is mostly for endurance type riding and will firstly supplement my MTB XC racing and fitness (for endurance).

I have been looking at:

Giant Defy Advanced 2 (current favorite)
Giant TCR Advanced 2 (might try, but may be a bit racey from what I hear)
MS Oppy C6 (well priced)
Madone 4.3 (expensive)
Polygon Helios C7.0 (very cheap)
Merida Scultura Pro 900

I really like the Defy and like the look of the Oppy, however I didn't want to leave the others out.

The interesting one is the Polygon. Full Ultegra groupset with carbon and Mavic Ksyrium wheel set sound like a good deal for the price compared to others.

What I guess I am looking for is opinions, particularly on the Polygon. Is it just a good group set and decent wheels on a cheap frame that chatters, is not well designed or built etc??

Also has anyone given one a good ride and can compare against these other frames, bikes. Just testing the water I guess.

Most rides will be longish endurance and commuting at this stage. No racing, I'll leave that for the dirty :)

Oh, I am 45, 183cm, 80kg.

Thanks in advanced.

James
2 legs + 2 wheels = bicycle ..... So spiders ride octacycles then?
#Giant TCR Advanced 0 Ultegra Di2
#Giant Anthem x Advanced SL 0 w XX1
#Scott spark 30
#Trek Mamba 29

Comments

• domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    Polygon are an Indonesian brand, they are very popular in Singapore due to the price point.

They are not terrible frames, just standard, it would serve you well, however, you would always wonder if your first choice would have been better.

If you have the budget go for the Giant, you can upgrade parts as and when your budget permits, it is always best to get the best frame you can afford then change bits and pieces later.

I have had a couple of Giants, they are great bike and frames, the Defy in particular is an excellent bike.

Vote with your heart, not your wallet.

I am 38, 179cm and between 90-100kg, depending on how much riding I can fit in, you will be on the outer side of size M so if you can get a M/L then go for that.
  • domgears wrote:
    Polygon are an Indonesian brand, they are very popular in Singapore due to the price point.

They are not terrible frames, just standard, it would serve you well, however, you would always wonder if your first choice would have been better.

If you have the budget go for the Giant, you can upgrade parts as and when your budget permits, it is always best to get the best frame you can afford then change bits and pieces later.

I have had a couple of Giants, they are great bike and frames, the Defy in particular is an excellent bike.

Vote with your heart, not your wallet.

I am 38, 179cm and between 90-100kg, depending on how much riding I can fit in, you will be on the outer side of size M so if you can get a M/L then go for that.

Thanks for the reply Domgears

I have kind of come to that conclusion myself based on the thought that you generally get what you pay for. So, yeah I have decided I would rather buy from a reputable, well established manufacturer with a local outlet for proper fit, support and ongoing help. Plus, it is probably a good thing to support my LBS if I can. As long as they are looking after me.

My wife and I ended up looking at the Trek Domane 4.3 but I wasn't really sold of the frame design and look. They were just a bit boring I thought and also not very well priced compared to some other comparative brands. My wife didn't mind the WSD they had.

We next went to the Giant dealer which has a large range and good staff, very friendly and helpfull. No bike snobbery there, which was nice. My wife liked the Avail Advanced 2 and they can do a great deal on a 2013 model, which has the black and white frame, with 105, which she really liked the look and fit of.

I tried the equivalent Defy Advanced 2 and it was nice, however, then I tried the Advanced 0 and loved the Ultegra Di2. So I don't think I can go back now. I am now swaying towards the Defy Advanced 0-Di2, which is a fair bit more $ than my original plan, however I figure I will be spending a lot of time on it.

We have arranged to take two bikes out next week to test ride and get a feel for the frames. I only rode mine around the car park yesterday at the shop, so a good ride will tell the difference.

To be fair to the Treks we are also going to take them for a ride to do a comparison. Sitting on the Domane on the trainer didn't do a lot for me and my wife definitely seemed to like the fit and feel of the Avail over the Domane WSD.

Giant are also prepared to do a much better deal for two bikes than Trek, so the savings are there.

Will update here with thoughts and results after our proper test ride. Probably get in a good 1-2 hour ride.

Helps me feel better that I am going in the right direction for a better quality bike. I figure, the amount of time I plan on spending on it justifies getting something of decent quality. Though I am not in the position to buy expensive European at this stage. That is if the Pinarello, Colgnago etc etc are actually that much better for the price!?!?!

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

James
    #Scott spark 30
    #Trek Mamba 29
  • domgears
    Hi James,

In my opinion Italian bikes are way over rated and most of them are made in Asia anyway, just because they assemble them and paint them in Italy they say made in Italy.

If I was to but any European bike and I intend to, the only choice for me would be Storck, I am eying up an Aernario Platinum.

Trek are very blah and very common, also their frames are made in Asia, so you may as well go for a brand that is Asian (Giant), Giant control all their own research, design and manufacture end to end.

The Defy Advanced won bike of the year so you can't go far wrong, if your budget can stretch far enough you won't find much better than the Defy Advanced SL as per the link below

http://www.shopgiant-bicycles.co.uk/367 ... -bike.aspx

That said, it all boils down to the test ride.

Another point is that women specific models are actually exactly the same, just prettier colours and cost more, if she likes the look of the Defy, just go for a Defy, you will most likely get a better spec for the same price.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics once you bite the bullet.

Ride safe,

Dom
  • OK. Finally did it. Picked up a 2013 Giant TCR Advanced 0 with full ulterga and .

I tried the defy and felt the TCR was a better feel. The fir is perfect, position nice and aggressive, which suits my ride style and the acceleration is awesome, the thing is like a slingshot.

On the ride I tried it and the steering was incredibly responsive and felt just great.

Anyhow, here it is http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 000/57390/

The 2013 looks much nicer than the 2014 IMO and I saved almost $1k off the price after some solid haggling. Only different is it is 10 instead of 11 speed, not an issue for me.

The Di2 Ultegra groupset is like pure heaven too.

Very happy with the purchase. Just cant wait to get out on it now and chase down my first century and do some good hill climbs.

James
    #Scott spark 30
    #Trek Mamba 29
  • domgears
    Very nice bike mate.

Well done, enjoy!
  • Thanks.

I live the look of the bike, tube shapes, join shapes, large solid steerer and super stiff BB and the colour. It just looks light and fast.

Had some decent weather finally and got it out on the road for a big hill climb ride up my local mountain yesterday (25k) and a coastal run (35k - average 29 kph pace) this morning.

The bike is awesome. Light, responsive and the acceleration on the sprint is very fast, getting up to speed off lights is no effort at all. Handles the bumps well and the steering is very responsive and precise, so much fun dropping the shoulder and pushing it through those tight curves. Frame is super stiff but seems to ride well over the bumps. I cant feel any flex under power when I really put the power down in seated climbs or in my little sprints, well not like my old Trek, anyhow.

The Di2 and Ultegra has also been flawless.

Very happy with the bike.

My dealer did an awesome deal, we got an Avail Advanced 2 for my wife also as a package, they chopped over $1000 off the price or us after some decent haggling and gave us free pedals, bottles, cages, trainer skewers and the like.

Giant have done a good job on this frame and bike and I think they deserve the great reviews they have been getting of late.

James
    #Scott spark 30
    #Trek Mamba 29
  • I just put a down payment on this same bike today and will be ready for pickup mid-week. I hope I made the right decision and your enthusiasm has made me feel that I have. Looking forward to trying it.
  • distrunnr wrote:
    I just put a down payment on this same bike today and will be ready for pickup mid-week. I hope I made the right decision and your enthusiasm has made me feel that I have. Looking forward to trying it.

Distrunnr

I think you have. However it is all a matter of perception and preference really. I cannot ride my new TCR enough. I have basically done 20-40 km on it almost every day since I picked it up (weather permitting). Actually I think I need to give my pegs a rest.

I am still loving the sprints on it and have taken it on some big hill climbs recently and each time I climb the same hill I slice a bit more off my previous time. I love the personal challenge and pushing myself to the limits and this bike really brings out and maintains my enthusiasm to do exactly that. I kind of think of it like the Ferrari or R8 in my bike garage :)

Di2 is still flawless. Only one thing though - That seat!!! WTF? I think I need to get that replaced. Once I start getting well into a ride I really notice the pressure in the wrong places. I have dead set flat style Fizik seats on all my MTB's and they are no problem (probably dont sit as much on them I know), but that ridge through the front of it can really get uncomfortable after a while. I am thinking of a selle in the split or shaped styles.

That is pretty much the only thing I have noticed that I would put down as a negative about the TCR so far.

Enjoy your new bike, I am sure you will.

James
    #Scott spark 30
    #Trek Mamba 29