Which Wide narrow Chainring

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,
I'm Converting to a 1x10 setup using a general lee adapter. I would like to know peoples thoughts around which Wide Narrow chainring seems to be offering the best value/wear. No real budget set yet, but sub £50 if possible. Any thoughts about what seems to be working well?

Cheers

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    All pretty much the same tbh. I've been using a works components ring for the last 6 months and it's been faultless. As I say they're all very similar, anything from works, raceface, absolute black or a wolff tooth will be fine, pick which one you like the most, whether it be on price or flashy anodising and go for it :)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The RaceFace Wide Narrow gets great reviews, as does the Wolf Tooth Components Drop-Stop.

I'm swapping from 1x9 to 1x10 and went for a RaceFace, although it's not here yet.

Plenty of people say you can use any single ring mind you, I just wanted to drop a size so thought I may as well get one designed for 1x10.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I use RaceFace Narrowwide rings but as above I doubt there is any difference between them. Bit too early to tell what they are like wear wise as they should last ages compared to standard chainrings, you will easily keep sub £50 I paid under £40 for mine from Rutland cycles
  • WindyG wrote:
    Bit too early to tell what they are like wear wise as they should last ages compared to standard chainrings, you will easily keep sub £50 I paid under £40 for mine from Rutland cycles

I'd actually say it would wear faster than a standard ring.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Am I correct in thinking the RaceFace version has standard tooth profiles? (as in not extended) The Sram/Wolftooth have clearly taller teeth than a standard ring but the RF ones looks standard height in the pictures.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    They're wider rather than taller, every 2nd tooth.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I know they're wider but the Sram/Works/Wolftooth all look much taller, RF doesn't from the pictures I've seen. All the RF reviews are very good so I assume it's the narrow/wide teeth that's doing the job rather than the tooth height
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I've got a works components one. It looks really nice and well machined, main reason was cost over the RF one.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I just bought a 34t Raceface version in standard black. £40. Looks trick, great reviews and only a fiver more than the works version. Also i get chain reaction cycles backup and ease of use. Will see how it all works with the general lee shortly! Are many of you running a clutch mech at all with these rings? I have a bionicon V2 with my double setup, but have been reading of some people not usine clutch mechs and getting on Ok. be interesed in peoples thoughs.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I don't have a clutch mech on either of mine, I did fit a top guide on the HT as it was the first bike I did and wanted to see how it was going to work out, on the FS I didn't use anything and I've not dropped a chain once.