Giant Defy Rear Brake Issues

monkeysm8
monkeysm8 Posts: 191
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hello,

The rear brake on my Defy is sending me crazy!! The non driveside arm of the caliper keeps sticking against the rim. Due to the daft cable routing by the seatpost, it looks like this is applying pressure onto it causing it to happen.

Has anyone with a Defy had similar?

Comments

• I built a Defy Composite last week and had no issues.

Loosen the main brake bolt, centre the calliper and hold, then retighten.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In addition to centering and tightening the caliper mounting bolt, it sounds like the short bit of cable outer between the caliper and the frame stop could be a bit too long if it's pushing the caliper sideways.

Is this on a small frame by any chance?
  • It is a small frame.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I thought I'd read about this before. I think some chap was having the same issue with a small frame he was building up for his wife. Sounded like the caliper's so close to the cable stop that the cable outer has to be exactly the right length and the caliper mounting bolt properly tight.

I managed to do the opposite when transferring a groupset from a CR1 frame to a racelight Tk; that short stretch of outer was too short, so the caliper arm was flexing forwards when the brake was applied :shock:
  • Just ordered some new inner and outer cable. I will snip the outer a bit shorter and see!!