What bike for the zombie apocalypse?

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
My thoughts:

Road bike:
A road bike would be good for sprinting away from big groups of walkers, and also very good for long distances. Would need mudguards, panniers, and be bullet proof. Also, campag is a no no - that clicking would attract them from miles around. So, I'm thinking genesis equilibrium.

However, then the going gets tough you need to be able to go off road, so I was thinking MTB, however these don't really work too well on road.

So, I have decided a ti cyclocross, with discs, is the best way. Possibly singlespeed, so as to be as quiet as possible.
Insert bike here:

Comments

• In the zombie apocalypse you don't really want to be using the roads, attracts too much attention. So you're going to want MTB or CX I would think.
  • This got raised in the last zombie thread. The Zombie Survival Guide states that should it all kick off the two best forms of transport are a horse or a MTB. So I'd got for a Ti frame and tubeless tyres.
  • This got raised in the last zombie thread. The Zombie Survival Guide states that should it all kick off the two best forms of transport are a horse or a MTB. So I'd got for a Ti frame and tubeless tyres.

Which makes you wonder why in post apocalyptic programmes, such as 'Revolution' why there's a lot of horses but virtually no bicycles.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636
    Definitely tubeless. I'll be more worried about zombie dogs than zombies, if I'm biking it during the apocalypse.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • You'd definitely need racks to carry weaponry as well, so the bike would need the relevant rack mounting points.

What about swords in the front rack and sawn-off pump-action shotgun in the rear?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I'm just spec'ing my Zombie evasion bike - Shimano RS80's, Mavic Ksyrium Elites or handbuilts? :lol:

I'm not sure if I should go for 23 or 25mm tyres and also, if i'm caught and turned - would Wiggle still honor my 12% Platinum discount code, there's nothing in the T's and C's.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Quiet at Work is it ? :)
    mpatts wrote:
    My thoughts:

Road bike:
    A road bike would be good for sprinting away from big groups of walkers, and also very good for long distances. Would need mudguards, panniers, and be bullet proof. Also, campag is a no no - that clicking would attract them from miles around. So, I'm thinking genesis equilibrium.

However, then the going gets tough you need to be able to go off road, so I was thinking MTB, however these don't really work too well on road.

So, I have decided a ti cyclocross, with discs, is the best way. Possibly singlespeed, so as to be as quiet as possible.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636
    limoneboy wrote:
    Quiet at Work is it ? :)
    mpatts wrote:
    My thoughts:

Road bike:

You'll change your tune when it all kicks off!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Fatbike. You really don't want to get bogged down.

But look, it doesn't REALLY matter. You should have long since escaped to your isolated hideaway with sufficient fortifications. Somewhere cold ideally or an island (though even then you have to watch for those washed up).

So a normal MTB should do because, basically, you should still be riding for fun rather than survival. ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Fatbike. You really don't want to get bogged down.

But look, it doesn't REALLY matter. You should have long since escaped to your isolated hideaway with sufficient fortifications. Somewhere cold ideally or an island (though even then you have to watch for those washed up).

So a normal MTB should do because, basically, you should still be riding for fun rather than survival. ;)

Yeah but I need to get across town to get Amy from school, and I reckon a bike is far and away the best way to do it.

I do have an axe, and a hideaway afterwards. Doesn't everyone?
    Insert bike here:
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    This got raised in the last zombie thread. The Zombie Survival Guide states that should it all kick off the two best forms of transport are a horse or a MTB. So I'd got for a Ti frame and tubeless tyres.

Which makes you wonder why in post apocalyptic programmes, such as 'Revolution' why there's a lot of horses but virtually no bicycles.

I saw WWZ yesterday and there was a cycling scene in it. Looked very odd to see soldiers riding bikes. But with bicycles being currently touted as the saviors of the planet I envisage bicycles appearing in more films. Has anyone else noticed how every car program has few cyclist in the background?

I'd go for a CX bike for the same reason as I'm about to buy one. Versatile. Can do distances on the road with panniers for your survival kit and take it off road when necessary as long as it's not too extreme.
  • earth wrote:
    This got raised in the last zombie thread. The Zombie Survival Guide states that should it all kick off the two best forms of transport are a horse or a MTB. So I'd got for a Ti frame and tubeless tyres.

I saw WWZ yesterday and there was a cycling scene in it. Looked very odd to see soldiers riding bikes. But with bicycles being currently touted as the saviors of the planet I envisage bicycles appearing in more films. Has anyone else noticed how every car program has few cyclist in the background?

I'd go for a CX bike for the same reason as I'm about to buy one. Versatile. Can do distances on the road with panniers for your survival kit and take it off road when necessary as long as it's not too extreme.

Then the phone rang and woke the zombies up.

So, whatever you do, don't spec Fulcrum Racing 7's.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.