Cyclocross Bile as a Winter Bike. Help me choose.

Paul_GTR
Paul_GTR Posts: 8
edited November 2013 in Cyclocross
I have just got back into cycling this year and rise a Trek Domane 4.7. However I ride a lot of country roads and it is starting to get gunged up with mud and grit so time to put it away for the summer.

I need a winter bike with the following:
> Drop bars, but with fairly relaxed geometry and comfortable ride.
> Disc brakes
> 61 cm frame (I'm 6ft 5)
> Reasonably fast and good spec

Budget is up to 2k

So far I have looked at:

> Trek Crockett 7 Disk 2014 £2000
> Cannondale CAADX 3 Ultegra Disk 2014 £1500
> Specialized Crux Sport E5 Disk 2014 £1900

Any views on the above? So far I am favouring the Cannondale. Trek looks pretty dull and is expensive. Specialized geometry may be too racy. Cannondale is a lot cheaper and seems a good spec.

Use will be mainly road, but of course I could be tempted to go down the loacal bridleways etc :-) so a cross bike gives me a bit of flexibility.

Views and alternatives welcome!

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Have you seen the PX cross bike? Looks great for the money.
    Insert bike here:
  • What about a Scott CX Team http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott- ... 13-p207848 only £1,200 so plenty spare budget to spend on extra bits and bobs.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Spesh also do the tricross disc bikes, touring geometry, or secteur discs as well with 28mm tyres.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Might be a bit out there, but if you like the Cannondale CaadX and IF you don't mind buying mailorder from Europe this may be suitable :-
    http://www.thebikeshop.de/epages/623034 ... tViaPortal

RRP is a bit over your budget, but the shops link says email us for a personal quote, which people in the road bike section have done and they are quite competitive and ship to the UK free of charge. I think this will come in under £2000 if you email them! For some reason this year Cannondale do not seem to list the Superx here in the UK. I personally wouldn't mind from the EU as since we are in the EU I think we are covered in the UK for warantee no problem, so it's more down to using mail order or a local shop.
  • Re Scott and Superx, both have max 58 frame. Probably too small.
    Will have a look at the Canyon, not had time to check the sizing yet. Might need to go through a dealer though for a proper fitting, esp with my hight. On my TrekDomane, they had to get a bigger seatpost in.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    SuperX as with some other CX bikes, come up big so you may need to drop a size or so anyway. Maybe need to go and have a try before you buy.
  • simonj wrote:
    SuperX as with some other CX bikes, come up big so you may need to drop a size or so anyway. Maybe need to go and have a try before you buy.

Understand, but probably not. My Trek roadbike is 62cm and really could have done with a 64cm!
  • Paul_GTR wrote:
    simonj wrote:

Understand, but probably not. My Trek roadbike is 62cm and really could have done with a 64cm!

Every bike company measures their bikes differently, and there is no 'standard' sizing for people. I would highly recommend trying before you buy with a large purchase.
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    I bought a Caadx 6 disc last month and have about 1100Km's on it so far. I have never been more pleased with a purchase. Geometry is spot on, frame build & finish is nothing short of brilliant. I had thought I would upgrade the tiagra group after I bought it for a Campag chorus set I have but found no need = tiagra works perfectly. Of course bike isn't perfect but there is nothing I can't sort.For instance I just spent 30 minutes tightening nearly every spoke in rear wheel. Front wheel was/is grand. Brakes, although cheaper model, work VERY well ,especially in wet. Great handling bike that puts a smile on my face and has had me out in torrential rain. TBH, I can't see myself going back to my "good" bike next spring

I put a review on Evan's site if anyone care to read it

http://bit.ly/HQ85To
  • Thanks for the info. I have reserved the Cannondale. Just need to decide by tomorrow. They are disappearing fast! Most frames sizes now out of stock until next Feb\April. Like the look of the Canyon, but really need a proper bike fit and the opportunity not to buy if doesn't fit.
    These people are also effectively giving £150 off.
    http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=16134&O_ID=5