No biking for me for while

WindyG
WindyG Posts: 1,099
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Had an off an got cracked ribs so got to do the rest up time out, going to be very boring.
Can't ride the road bike for 4 weeks and the MTB for 6.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MTFU
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    As long as your not coughing up blood you can ride a bike as soon as you can get on it. Give it a week and ride your MTB on the roads or cycle paths dont go mad just potter along.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited November 2013
    I cracked 2 ribs with an OTB, I finished the ride (6 miles) using 'short breathing' to reduce chest expansion, I was back on my commuter in just over a week (not pushing it, as I didn't want to pant, although sneezing is worse and laughing the very worst!) and on the MTB after 3 when I was fine.

I was told 4 weeks at least off the bike by the quack......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,875
    pictures needed!
  • WindyG
    3rd time now I've cracked my ribs, 1st time on the bike(well off it) I hope to be on the road bike asap.
    Had to cancel the XC race I had entered as that's in less than 2 weeks time.
    Did it in the most stupid and easiest of places on the trails, just clipped a small branch at speed through some trees next thing I know I'm flying, the bike made quite a clang as did I hitting the ground and yet the group of 4 riders less than 50m away just turned and rode off, 1st time I've ever seen MTB just ignore someone go down, something I would never do.

Laughing yep that hurts but the worst one is hiccups.
    Hoping the rigid forks for my commuter build arrive soon to give me something to do.

matthewh, all I have to show is 2 thin red lines along my ribs unless your just after naked pics of me.
  • Just recovered from 4 broken ribs and a punctured lung sustained in an off on the ft bill dh track. Hope yours mend quickly. I know all about the pain. I was off the bike for about 5 weeks and took about 8 for all weird clicking feelings and pain to go. Respect to all those who are back in their bikes after 2 days from breaking theirs, but that's just not possible sometimes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    I've cracked ribs before and I've completely snapped 3 ribs then damaged a lung they are very different. With cracked ribs I could ride pretty soon afterwards, just not very hard and I was very careful not to do anything silly that could make me fall off. When I really snapped 3 ribs the pain was a lot worse, after about a week I sneezed, which did some more damage and caused my lung to fill up with blood on one side. I collapsed at about 2 am when I got up to take some more pain killers and was straight in to A&E. I had 3 drips stuck into me and was operated on soon after. They stuck a chest drain in me and 2.5 litres of the red stuff was in the wrong place, plus the bit that covered the surgeon and went on the floor. I was in hospital for a week until my lung got back to normal and was off the bike for a while after that.
    So my advice would be to ride as and when you feel up to it, don't do anything silly. Take loads of painkillers and breathe as deeply as you can every now and then. This avoids fluid building up in the lungs which would make you cough. You really don't want to cough, sneeze or laugh. Heal fast.
  • WindyG
    I am going to have one whole solid week of doing nothing, deep breaths, trying to make sure at least a couple of good one every hour but also avoiding shallow breathing. Plan will be just to get back on the road as soon I feel comfortable with just some steady rides and build on that.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I had a similar conversation with the doc a couple of weeks after a fairly serious 'off' where I'd broken a bone in my hand and cracked a rib. I asked him 'can I go mountain biking in two weeks time', he said 'no cycling at all for another four weeks'. I hadn't the heart to tell him I'd already been back on the road bike for a week.... Don't think my breaks were that bad though, and while they were a bit sore, they weren't really painful. The real risk, I think, was if I'd come off again it might have done some real damage.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    With a cracked rib or two you could just take painkillers and carry on as normal, as long as you don't fall off it won't get any worse, it's just the pain that's the problem.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cooldad
    Should give you plenty of time for a bit of walking.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    cooldad wrote:
    Should give you plenty of time for a bit of wanking.

:?
  • tlw1
    WindyG wrote:
    matthewh, all I have to show is 2 thin red lines along my ribs unless your just after naked pics of me.

any pics of your mum then?
  • WindyG
    matthew h wrote:
    WindyG wrote:

Would you like some recent ones?
  • cooldad
    ednino wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Should give you plenty of time for a bit of w*****g.

:?
    You obviously have never played.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    rhext wrote:
    I had a similar conversation with the doc a couple of weeks after a fairly serious 'off' where I'd broken a bone in my hand and cracked a rib. I asked him 'can I go mountain biking in two weeks time', he said 'no cycling at all for another four weeks'. I hadn't the heart to tell him I'd already been back on the road bike for a week....
    That sounds like when I went to A&E, the brake lever had gone into the inside of my upper arm at Cannock, I'd ridden the remaining circa 6km (lifting my left hand onto the bars) and driven home, at A&E they were concerned I'd nearly severed a small muscle group and put me in a plaster cast to protect it........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tlw1
    WindyG wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    WindyG wrote:

Would you like some recent ones?

It's up to you which are best
  • WindyG wrote:
    Laughing yep that hurts but the worst one is hiccups.

Nope, sneezing's the worst. About 10 days after I'd cracked a couple I sneezed at work, lass on the other side of the desk heard the crack as i did them again. Funnily enough, without the background adrenalin levels from sport (I'd cracked mine in a rugby game initially) it hurt a helluva lot more...
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...